Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bell's Christmas Ale  (Read 1479 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Bell's Christmas Ale
« on: December 01, 2010, 09:33:35 am »
I had this beer last night on tap from a beer pub in Indy.  This beer is quite different from typical spiced Christmas or Winter beers.  My first impression upon tasting was Cotton Candy.  Not a flavor I had experienced in a beer before.  Upon reflection, I determined that the beer had a cherry-like flavor and aroma with slightly elevated acidity.  Hop bittering was moderate to low with the malt flavor being more noticable, but the acidity providing a crisper finish.  

Bell's website confirms that there are no spices in this brew and the character is all from malt and hops.  I'm surprised that there isn't any cherry juice in the beer, but with the character of the new hop varieties, I'm not surprised that they were able to craft this cotton candy/cherry character.  

I found it interesting and enjoyable.  My wife did comment that she had a bit of heartburn after the glass, so the acidity may be a little pronounced for some.  

I'd also say that it could still be a pretty good summer beer too.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:35:11 am by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Bell's Christmas Ale
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:50:50 am »
We had a few pints of this last night.  It is made from the barley grown on a farm that Larry bought a few years ago.  The barley has to be shipped to Briess, malted, then shipped back.  He would like to do an all Michigan beer someday, but the hop supply here is still small.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!