Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Filter Advice  (Read 4669 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Filter Advice
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 07:39:15 am »
Gelatin and temperature has worked just fine for me.  I was just looking for somebody to say that they have a filter setup and use it frequently.  Still might pull the trigger, got a gift certificate for Christmas for a local brew shop, gonna see what they have.  Since I have 2 five gallon batches of this Pliny clone I should be able to do a side by side filtered vs unfiltered to compare.  A fear of mine is the absorption of hop oils by the paper filters, this will be a beer that will really show if this is the case.

A question I have regarding gelatin, what is the minimum time before transferring off of it?  From wine books I have always read 2 weeks but I read 2-3 days on homebrew forums.  Typically I have the time but I am stepping up brewing for a competition coming up and have limited lagering space.

It's much faster than that.  If you add it to beer in a carboy you can actually watch it clear within an hour or so.  The hot gelatin at the top slowly drops to the bottom as it matches the colder temperature of the beer and takes the haze with it.
If it's in a keg, wait a few hours and draw off a pint or two.  It'll contain most of the precipitate.  After that you should start to get bright beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 07:58:50 am »

That's what I use.  I generally add it to a cup or so of warmed beer instead of water because I don't want to dilute my beer any more than necessary.

How much do you put in for a five-gallon batch? one sheet?

1/2 of the pack.
If you have a gram scale (like everybody should have) use 3 grams for 5 gal.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 08:53:28 am »
I'm in agreement with Kai regarding the utility of 5 micron filters.  That isn't fine enough to filter out yeast.  2 micron filters will capture most yeast cells.  I don't use that size filter, but I understand that it can also tend to filter out flavor components too.  I'm fine with just letting time and temperature do the job.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 09:06:23 am »

That's what I use.  I generally add it to a cup or so of warmed beer instead of water because I don't want to dilute my beer any more than necessary.

How much do you put in for a five-gallon batch? one sheet?

1/2 of the pack.
If you have a gram scale (like everybody should have) use 3 grams for 5 gal.

Ah, grazie mille. I bought a gram/oz digital scale a few months ago and at the time I got THE LOOK from my wife, but she absolutely LOVES the thing now and I find it in-dis-pensable.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!