Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Brew Software??  (Read 12155 times)

Offline aubeertine31

• Cellarman
Best Brew Software??
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:05:12 pm »
I've heard brew software being mentioned in a lot of threads and would like to get one. Any body have any recommendations? Obviously, free would be best
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Offline bluesssman

• Cellarman
    • Home Brewer TV
Re: Best Brew Software??
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:21:17 pm »
There are a number of good beer software programs available. I do not know of any free ones. I really enjoy BeerTools and the price is really low!

Gary

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:40:07 pm »
Do you have a mac or a pc?  If you have a pc then BeerSmith is the way to go.  If you have a mac then go for BeerAlchemy.  Just my two cents. 
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:28:31 pm »
Promash is almost the default for a PC - it's the most intuative brewing software I've used (not to say it is intuitive - relative to other brewing software though…).
Qbrew on Linux is free (as in beer and as in speech) and it's more than decent. Not sure if it's available on PC.
Beersmith works perfectly on Ubuntu and Windows.
I feel like BeerAlchemy would be the go-to on a Mac since the iPhone version is so great.
My current favorites are BeerSmith when I'm on my computer and BeerAlchemy when I'm not near a computer.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:30:36 pm by thcipriani »
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 11:02:24 pm »
I switched from promash to beersmith recently, because promash is old and never updated.  I would have been fine keeping with promash, but when I got a new computer I couldn't find the disks.  I think beersmith is better because it is more current and actually being maintained.  And it's a decent program too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:07:09 pm »
Check out Hopville.com  They have a free beer calculator called Beer Calculus.  I'm not a big fan, but it's free, and everyone's recipes can be shared.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline spelt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 03:47:12 am »
I started out using the Hopville.com BeerCalculus program.  This suffices and gives you some interesting insight into recipe formulation.  However, I've moved on to Beer Alchemy for the Mac and must say it was well worth the nominal fee for the return.  It is regularly updated.  It has quite a number of beels and whistles beyond recipe creation that really add meaningfully to its utility.  A little weak on the built in ingredients list but anything you personally want to add can easily be input. Actually enhances the amount of fun I have homebrewing.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 06:24:44 am »
Brewtarget.
It's free, it's on most platforms, it's free, has good support, it's free, and it's actively maintained and updated, not perfect, but it's free.
Download it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/brewtarget/
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 06:27:25 am »
I have used BeerSmith since I started using software.  It is well worth the price. It is regularly updated and backed with a great web site, Blog and forum.  There will soon be a new edition that is Mac compatable.  I contribute my current brewing succes to this sotware and sanitation.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 08:07:09 am »
Promash has always worked for me. I don't care if it's ever updated, because it does exactly what I need it to do right now. Very stable, even under Win7.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 08:10:15 am »
I'm a beersmith user and have been for over three years.  It's easy to use I like the format.
Ron Price

Offline 6thstreet

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 08:44:21 am »
Beersmith for me as well.

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 08:44:21 am »
I use BeerSmith for most of my calcs, but still use the venerable (but never updated) ProMash to fill in the holes that BeerSmith can't quite fill. At least BS is getting a major upgrade.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 08:48:33 am »
I'm a long time Promash user.  It's a well thought out piece of software, and I don't care if it's been updated or not since it does everything I need to do.  I've been struggling to learn Beersmith, but the paradigm is so foreign to me that it's taking me a while to get comfortable with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 09:42:17 am »
Used both ProMash and BeerSmith for a while and settled on BeerSmith.  (Actually now have two copies as I won a second as swag in a homebrew comp).
Joe