Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Brew Software??  (Read 12098 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Best Brew Software??
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 07:10:57 pm »
I don't use brewing software all that much, but before settling on BeerAlchemy    I successfully tested both ProMash and Beersmith on my Mac using a bit of magical software called Crossover, which allows you to run many Windoze programs seamlessly  on your Mac with the advantage of not having to install the Windows OS at all (to me, installing Windows on a Mac is something akin to putting a lawn mower engine in a Ferrari).   ;D

info here:
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Is this about the same as Parallels?  I've got that on my macbook but never thought of using it to run Promash, which I have on my PC.

Not really.  With Parallels, you still need to install  MS Windows to run Windows programs.

With Crossover,you have the huge advantage of  not needing to install Windows at all. and it allows many Windows programs to run seamlessly in the Mac environment.
I believe that Crossover offers a fully functional trial version at the link previously provided.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Podo

• Cellarman
  • Korea
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 07:01:06 pm »
I've used ProMash and BeerSmith, and I find Beersmith a little simpler and more intuitive to use.
So good once it hits your lips!

Offline egminer

• 1st Kit
  • Beer on the bluff
    • Gakona, Alaska
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 07:27:16 pm »
I started with ProMash, but didn't find it as easy to use as Beer Smith.  The other issue I have with ProMash is the software doesn't seem to have updates. I checked the web site and it's several years since the last change in software.  It also doesn't seem to support Windows 7. I did think it was  a better program initially tho.
2799.7, 321.1 Apparent Rennerian
; Sabco Brew-Magic, 2 Blichmann 14.5 gallon fermentors... Life is Good Judge!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 08:52:56 pm »
I have no problem with Windows 7
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 08:55:54 pm »
Same here.  Just installed PM on a new laptop with Win7 Home premium and it works flawlessly.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 08:57:38 pm »
ProMash works with Win7 Ultimate.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:18:53 pm by Mikey »

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 05:44:10 pm »
I've been using Promash for 10 plus years and have been pretty happy with it.  An update would be nice but it works well for me and I really don't want to go through learning another program.  Still hoping we will one day see an update 8)

Offline bighand

• 1st Kit
    • Bighand Brewery Blog
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 10:23:10 pm »
I've tried both beersmith and promash and prefer the interface of beersmith a little more.

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 04:25:43 am »
Beersmith has a lot of features and simplicity of use that I like.  It is great for being able to share brew recipes.  You can export or import files easily.  Scale the batch size to meet your brewing style.  If you want to, Beersmith gives you the ability to customize a lot of elements of the brew process.  It is a cool program. 

To be fair, I have not used any other brew software.

Works well for me.
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale
6. Key Lime Pie (11%) Chilled to 29 deg. F. you can not even taste the alcohol.

It is time to start brewing again.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2010, 06:16:56 am »
Its been a long time since there was a ProMash update, but what sort of update do people want?  ProMash already does everything Beersmith does, so a feature update isn't required.  Are there other features that could be incorporated?  Are there glitches or flaws in ProMash that should be fixed?  I haven't found any. 

In some respects I'm disappointed that there hasn't been an update in a long time, but ProMash continues to perform exactly as I need it to.  In these days of seemingly constant software updating, I suppose that users expect change.   
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline animaldoc

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2010, 09:55:38 pm »
Updates are only needed to fix problems.

Promash.  I just don't like the Beersmith layout.

-- Scott

Offline SoPHiSTo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2010, 11:20:00 am »
Sorry to get geeky, but in hearing that Promash only supports 255 ingredients leads me to think it is only an 8-bit program which makes it VERY VERY old to today's standards.  This is not to say that it doesn't do what you want it to do, but when your working with only 8 bits some calculations may not be as accurate with 8 bits compared to 32.  In the real brewing world this probably doesn't matter but if I had a preference on driving a 1961 Corvette or a 2010 Corvette, I would probably choose the 2010 model.

Just my 2 cents

Joel
Longmont, CO
Twitter - @SoPHiSTo

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2010, 11:23:29 am »
That only deals with the index to the ingredient database.  No problems with calculations.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2010, 02:16:40 pm »
Sorry to get geeky, but in hearing that Promash only supports 255 ingredients leads me to think it is only an 8-bit program which makes it VERY VERY old to today's standards.  This is not to say that it doesn't do what you want it to do, but when your working with only 8 bits some calculations may not be as accurate with 8 bits compared to 32.  In the real brewing world this probably doesn't matter but if I had a preference on driving a 1961 Corvette or a 2010 Corvette, I would probably choose the 2010 model.

Just my 2 cents

Not me. I'd pick the 61 Vette in a heartbeat.

Offline stevej

• 1st Kit
    • State of Franklin Homebrewers
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2011, 11:38:24 am »
I've been a Promash user since the beta version.

It does everything I need, I can add ingredients, and export my recipes and brew sessions as text or html. No updates needed, and nothing broken to fix. What more does anyone need in a brewing software? who cares if it is 8 bit when it is accurate and does all I need?

I installed mine on a flash drive and carry it in my pocket. I can use it from any PC, and I don't need web access. my recipes, brew sessions, ingredients all go with me. I've used it under win95, win98, xp, vista, and now win7 with zero issues. no registry entries needed, no system files other than what is in the pm folder.
Steve Jones
State of Franklin Homebrewers
Johnson City, TN