Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: O'zapft is!  (Read 969 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
O'zapft is!
« on: September 18, 2021, 09:09:38 am »
The Oktoberfest is the world's largest Volksfest (beer festival and travelling funfair). It is held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It is a 16 to 18 day folk festival running from mid to late September to the first Sunday in October, with more than six million people from around the world attending the event every year. Locally, it is called d’Wiesn, after the colloquial name for the fairgrounds, Theresienwiese. The Oktoberfest is an important part of Bavarian culture, having been held since the year 1810. Other cities across the world also hold Oktoberfest celebrations that are modeled after the original Munich event. There’s even one in lil old Cullman Alabama.

The Munich Oktoberfest originally took place in the 16-day period leading up to the first Sunday in October. In 1994, this longstanding schedule was modified in response to German reunification. As such, if the first Sunday in October falls on the 1st or the 2nd, then the festival would run until 3 October (German Unity Day). Thus, the festival now runs for 17 days when the first Sunday is 2 October and 18 days when it is 1 October. In 2010, the festival lasted until the first Monday in October (4 October), to mark the event's bicentennial.

During the event, large quantities of Oktoberfest Beer are consumed. During the 16-day festival in 2013, for example, 7.7 million litres (66,000 US bbl; 1,700,000 imp gal) were served. Visitors also enjoy numerous attractions, such as amusement rides, sidestalls, and games. There is also a wide variety of traditional foods available.

Only beer from Munich breweries may be served on the Wiesn. The six Munich breweries at Oktoberfest are Augustiner, Hacker-Pschorr, Hofbräu, Löwenbräu, Paulaner, and Spaten.

The modern Maßkrug is slightly larger than 1 litre, with a fill line denoting the level to which the beer must be filled; the area above the line denotes space for the head to expand. Selling beer in mugs with a fraudulent or missing calibration mark is prosecuted as fraud. An "Association Against Fraudulent Pouring [of Beer]" ("Verein gegen betrügerisches Einschenken") in Munich fights for the customer rights of beer drinkers, and is mostly active on Oktoberfest.

The endurance sport of Maßkrugstemmen involves holding a filled 2.4-kilogram (5.3 lb) Maß at arm's length. The world record is 45 minutes and 2 seconds. While the sport is believed to have originated in Bavaria, Germany, competitions are now seen worldwide. A governing body has been created in the United States as the U.S. Steinholding Association

Below are some of my Maßkrug. If you’ll notice the date on middle one, it’s just the before the wall fell. I was in Mannheim Germany when the wall fell in Berlin.

After several weeks of civil unrest, the East German government announced on 9 November 1989 that all GDR citizens could visit West Germany and West Berlin. Crowds of East Germans crossed and climbed onto the Wall, joined by West Germans on the other side in a celebratory atmosphere. Over the next few weeks, euphoric people and souvenir hunters chipped away parts of the Wall. The Brandenburg Gate, a few meters from the Berlin Wall, was opened on 22 December 1989. The demolition of the Wall officially began on 13 June 1990 and was completed in 1994. The "fall of the Berlin Wall" paved the way for German reunification, which formally took place on 3 October 1990.

The 187th Oktoberfest should have taken place from Sep 18 to Oct 3, 2021. But for the second year in a row, the Corona pandemic has caused the event to be canceled. However, because it was supposed to begin Sep 18 this year, and because Sep 18 is my birthday, I brewed a Festbier for a backyard celebration complete with German music, food, and decorations.

Prost!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 09:45:04 am by BrewBama »

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: O'zapft is!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 09:53:44 am »
Happy Birthday, man!

I hadn't heard about the cancellation of Oktoberfest.  That's sad to hear, but understandable.

I'm near Pittsburgh and used to always go to Oktoberfest at the Hofbräuhaus we have.  I was never in the running to win the stein holding contest.  I think my best ever was around 3 minutes.  ;D

I haven't been there for the festivities in a number of years, but here are some remembrances from those times.  Really great collection you have there.

Prost!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 12:38:54 pm »
The Oktoberfest is the world's largest Volksfest (beer festival and travelling funfair). It is held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It is a 16 to 18 day folk festival running from mid to late September to the first Sunday in October, with more than six million people from around the world attending the event every year. Locally, it is called d’Wiesn, after the colloquial name for the fairgrounds, Theresienwiese. The Oktoberfest is an important part of Bavarian culture, having been held since the year 1810. Other cities across the world also hold Oktoberfest celebrations that are modeled after the original Munich event. There’s even one in lil old Cullman Alabama.

The Munich Oktoberfest originally took place in the 16-day period leading up to the first Sunday in October. In 1994, this longstanding schedule was modified in response to German reunification. As such, if the first Sunday in October falls on the 1st or the 2nd, then the festival would run until 3 October (German Unity Day). Thus, the festival now runs for 17 days when the first Sunday is 2 October and 18 days when it is 1 October. In 2010, the festival lasted until the first Monday in October (4 October), to mark the event's bicentennial.

During the event, large quantities of Oktoberfest Beer are consumed. During the 16-day festival in 2013, for example, 7.7 million litres (66,000 US bbl; 1,700,000 imp gal) were served. Visitors also enjoy numerous attractions, such as amusement rides, sidestalls, and games. There is also a wide variety of traditional foods available.

Only beer from Munich breweries may be served on the Wiesn. The six Munich breweries at Oktoberfest are Augustiner, Hacker-Pschorr, Hofbräu, Löwenbräu, Paulaner, and Spaten.

The modern Maßkrug is slightly larger than 1 litre, with a fill line denoting the level to which the beer must be filled; the area above the line denotes space for the head to expand. Selling beer in mugs with a fraudulent or missing calibration mark is prosecuted as fraud. An "Association Against Fraudulent Pouring [of Beer]" ("Verein gegen betrügerisches Einschenken") in Munich fights for the customer rights of beer drinkers, and is mostly active on Oktoberfest.

The endurance sport of Maßkrugstemmen involves holding a filled 2.4-kilogram (5.3 lb) Maß at arm's length. The world record is 45 minutes and 2 seconds. While the sport is believed to have originated in Bavaria, Germany, competitions are now seen worldwide. A governing body has been created in the United States as the U.S. Steinholding Association

Below are some of my Maßkrug. If you’ll notice the date on middle one, it’s just the before the wall fell. I was in Mannheim Germany when the wall fell in Berlin.

After several weeks of civil unrest, the East German government announced on 9 November 1989 that all GDR citizens could visit West Germany and West Berlin. Crowds of East Germans crossed and climbed onto the Wall, joined by West Germans on the other side in a celebratory atmosphere. Over the next few weeks, euphoric people and souvenir hunters chipped away parts of the Wall. The Brandenburg Gate, a few meters from the Berlin Wall, was opened on 22 December 1989. The demolition of the Wall officially began on 13 June 1990 and was completed in 1994. The "fall of the Berlin Wall" paved the way for German reunification, which formally took place on 3 October 1990.

The 187th Oktoberfest should have taken place from Sep 18 to Oct 3, 2021. But for the second year in a row, the Corona pandemic has caused the event to be canceled. However, because it was supposed to begin Sep 18 this year, and because Sep 18 is my birthday, I brewed a Festbier for a backyard celebration complete with German music, food, and decorations.

Prost!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like this post. Good read.

Today I took bottles Festbier to a group run.  I took IPA also. The Festbier bottles were all taken. The IPA had 3 left over. It was early AM so I told people to take them home and drink them tonight and celebrate Oktoberfest.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 02:14:10 pm »
Only beer brewed in Munich can be served at Oktoberfest.
That is true. The committee that runs the fest controls who is allowed, what price is charged, and the style.

There are other breweries in Munich that are not at the fest. Giesinger and Schiller are two that have some traditional lagers in their range, but are small new-ish places that would not be considered due to tradition and lack of brewing capacity.

When Paulaner built a modern new brewery, they had to scrap plans at one location, as it was just outside of Munich. The final site is just inside the western edge of the city. It is by the A8 and A99 interchange. Mälzereistraße 31, 81249 München, Germany if you're interested.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 12:48:53 pm »
Great post, thanks! Oktoberfest is definitely on my bucket list.

Some friends of ours have an Oktoberfest party every September. They require that all guests bring German beer. Here is what I brought this year. Guess which one was for my wife...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 01:32:17 pm »
Great post, thanks! Oktoberfest is definitely on my bucket list.

Some friends of ours have an Oktoberfest party every September. They require that all guests bring German beer. Here is what I brought this year. Guess which one was for my wife...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

All of them.   :)