Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the Weather Like Where You Are?  (Read 222287 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: What's the Weather Like Where You Are?
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2011, 12:53:21 pm »
They must have figured it would be easier to keep the kids home than to get them to school and have to send them home again.  Still no snow and Wednesdays are short school days so the kids would all have been sent home in less than an hour in any event. :-\  That's fine, we're having fun. ;D

There's still a Winter Storm Warning! and it's still supposed to snow.  Although to be fair to the meteorologists, they did say it was only an 80-90% chance of snow.

Isn't that "area" that'll get snow as opposed to probability?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »
No, they list it as "chance of precip".  Although maybe it is area, and if 80% of the area is getting precip then the chance of precip for any given spot is 80%.  I don't really know how they do it.

Anyway, I think it is finally starting to snow very lightly.  Hard to tell, could be blowing off of the trees.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2011, 01:12:33 pm »
E
No, they list it as "chance of precip".  Although maybe it is area, and if 80% of the area is getting precip then the chance of precip for any given spot is 80%.  I don't really know how they do it.

Anyway, I think it is finally starting to snow very lightly.  Hard to tell, could be blowing off of the trees.
That seems likely for a prediction. Darn meteorologists.

The last cold snap really did a number on our plants. My sago palm (which I thought was ok) will probably die and some other palm like plants that I have look bad. The fig trees might make it.  :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:16 pm »
The last cold snap really did a number on our plants. My sago palm (which I thought was ok) will probably die and some other palm like plants that I have look bad. The fig trees might make it.  :(
What kind of figs do you have?  My brown turkey seems to do fine with the cold, although this is its first winter here so we'll see what happens in the spring.

By the way, false alarm.  Still no snow :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2011, 01:37:38 pm »
I've got Brown Turkey and Black Mission trees. They actually produced fruit this year while in planters. If they survived they'll go in the ground. Really if they survive my "tender ministrations" then a cold snap is nothing lol.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2011, 01:37:48 pm »
It was pretty cold this a.m.about 16F but it warmed up quite a bit to 41F and sunny right now. Going down to 27F this pm.

I'm ready for spring now. I can't wait to see my hops start to sprout.  8)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2011, 01:49:22 pm »
I've got Brown Turkey and Black Mission trees. They actually produced fruit this year while in planters. If they survived they'll go in the ground. Really if they survive my "tender ministrations" then a cold snap is nothing lol.
Raintree says black mission should handle 15F, but I don't know how mature of a tree they're talking about.  I hope it works out, to me the worst thing about replacing trees is the set back in terms of growth and fruit production.

I'm ready for spring now. I can't wait to see my hops start to sprout.  8)
My hops have already broken ground, we'll see how they survive the coming cold snap.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2011, 10:29:18 pm »
E

That seems likely for a prediction. Darn meteorologists.

I wondered about that Sago
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2011, 10:53:52 pm »
I wondered about that Sago

Here's a pic of the poor thing. Exposure faces to the North. I had plenty of warning too. That plant would have done just fine in the shed or better the garage. It looks like some new fronds will be erupting.

The plant exacted it's revenge when I was taking the pics. Still feel it in my fingers...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2011, 11:48:53 pm »
The storm finally hit, starting around 6.  We got half an inch of graupel in about 15 minutes, tapering off into steady snow.  We're up to 4.5+ inches and counting, I think school will be canceled again tomorrow for sure.  At least this time there will be snow for us to go play in!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2011, 05:35:01 am »
The storm finally hit, starting around 6.  We got half an inch of graupel in about 15 minutes, tapering off into steady snow.  We're up to 4.5+ inches and counting, I think school will be canceled again tomorrow for sure.  At least this time there will be snow for us to go play in!

I had to look up graupel.  It must be one of those 100 words that eskimos have for different kinds of snow.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2011, 09:12:52 am »
Woke up to 4" of snow and it's still coming down.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:25 am »
Nice day today in NH.  Sunny with a few high clouds, highs going to about 40F.

Tonight we are supposed to get snow, changing to sleet and freezing rain by the morning commute ( yippee ) and possbily changing to rain.  Only expecting about 1-3 inches of snow, but it will be that "OH MY #$%^@## BACK" kinda snow to shovel.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2011, 09:54:22 am »
I had to look up graupel.  It must be one of those 100 words that eskimos have for different kinds of snow.
German I think :)  It's funny stuff, like tiny snowballs.

We got over 5 inches, and expect a little more today.  That's a huge amount for this area, and with the low temps for the next couple of days I expect it to stick around.  School was canceled as expected, and might be tomorrow too.  It's like a mini-vacation :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2011, 12:15:31 pm »
Yay! No school in Portland today.  Kids are havin a ball.

Funny how a minor snow event shuts this city down.