Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the Weather Like Where You Are?  (Read 223619 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: What's the Weather Like Where You Are?
« Reply #480 on: August 11, 2011, 11:42:34 pm »
It feels like Pele is living in my town.  Yesterday the official thermometer broke here but it was 107, day 61 of over 100F so far this year, and today will be day 62.  Normal is around 20 days over 100F.  If we hadn't had so much rain last year I'm sure we'd be rationing water by now.

Looks like some weather is headed your way. It's hotter-n-sh!t, disgustingly humid and windy around here.

I gotta question. My soil is predominantly dark clay. Very rich while moist- used to be farmland. Since I moved into the property the drought has been in existence. The clay soil pulls away from the slab. I've been soaking and watering around the base of the house so it swells back, but can barely keep up. Now I'm considering pouring sand into the gaps. Is this a bad idea?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #481 on: August 11, 2011, 11:57:36 pm »
Clay soils swell and shrink with changes in moisture contant.  This phenomenon is called heaving.  If you fill in the voids created while the clay is dry with sand, when the clay gets wet again and expands the expansion may cause uplift and cracking in your foundations and slab on grade concrete.  Maintaining a normal soil moisture content as you have been doing is the right way to go if you have the water to do it.

Oh yeah, to stay on topic, it is raining here tonight.  The sound of rain on the metal roof is soothing.  Good sleeping weather.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:17:11 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #482 on: August 12, 2011, 08:03:36 am »
euge NOAA images show some reflectivity boiling across the center of Texas...

Is it so Hot that.....

the trees are whistling for the dogs???

or

you realize that asphalt has a liquid stage??

or

the cows are giving evaporated milk??     ;D
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

« Reply #483 on: August 13, 2011, 03:12:08 am »
Sunny today, but more rain on the roof tonight.  Such is the rhythm of life here on the windward side.  God bless the tradewinds.  No rain, no rainforest.  No rain, no rainbows.  No rain, one gets to see the Perseid meteor shower.  Oh well... two outta three ain't bad...

Rain on the metal roof is very soothing.  Sleep is easy to succumb to with that fine pattering rhythm on the roof...  yawn...

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #484 on: September 05, 2011, 06:56:44 pm »
Cold front. Low 60s today, low 40's tonight. Love it...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #485 on: September 05, 2011, 08:26:26 pm »
Cold front. <snip> Love it...
The start of fall. 8)

Snow expected this week in the hills around here.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #486 on: September 05, 2011, 09:49:25 pm »
80 and sunny here all week long. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #487 on: September 05, 2011, 10:09:11 pm »
80 and sunny here all week long. ;D
Same here, but for us that's an amazing improvement-a cold front dropped our daily highs from 100F to low 80's.  Cooler but still no rain.  We're up to 0.55 inches since September 19 last year.  Even here in the desert we should get 8-10inches.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #488 on: September 05, 2011, 10:28:46 pm »
That's just a crazy low amount of rain.  I'm sure we're up to more than 40 inches in that time, and punatic has probably had 140 inches in the same time period. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #489 on: September 05, 2011, 10:34:49 pm »
That's just a crazy low amount of rain.  I'm sure we're up to more than 40 inches in that time, and punatic has probably had 140 inches in the same time period. :)
I've lived here in the desert for over 30 years and never seen a drought like this.  The last time we had real rain was the day before our 2010 Oktoberfest, and Oktoberfest 2011 is just a couple of weeks away.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #490 on: September 05, 2011, 11:19:32 pm »
Crap Frost tonight, I hate Northern Wii growing season. Don't get me wrong we can grow animals but are limited in growing vegatables, 50 birds are in the freezer right now and 10 duck and 16 turkeys are going to be ready in November.

Offline punatic

« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2011, 12:05:24 am »

140" would qualify as a drought here on the windward side.  We've had close to 180" in the last year.  Most of our rain comes between midnight and sunrise.  However, just to keep things in perspective, the area called Puako on the other side of the island has had about 8" of rain in the last year.  Puako is in the South Kohala district and is in the rain shadows of Hualalai, Mauna Loa, and Mauna Kea.  No snow on the Maunas yet, but it is not uncommon for the snows to start up there in October.

It has been clear here at my house for the last three nights.  I've been watching the moon move across Maui's Fishhook (aka Scorpio).  The night sky here is breathtaking.  All of the lava is contained within Halema`uma`u and Pu`u `O`o, so no nighttime trips to the lava flows in a while.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #492 on: September 06, 2011, 12:13:31 am »
I've lived here in the desert for over 30 years and never seen a drought like this.  The last time we had real rain was the day before our 2010 Oktoberfest, and Oktoberfest 2011 is just a couple of weeks away.

About the same here. Six inches when we would have forty. Still no significant chance of rain. It is however 72 outside. That is a little freaky.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #493 on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:42 am »
I don't think it got to 90 here yesterday and this morning it's 51F, half what it was 3 days ago. 

jaybeerman

« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2011, 11:55:53 am »
rain, rain...slight pause...rain.  a least I don't have to water the garden or the new trees