Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the Weather Like Where You Are?  (Read 223344 times)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Re: What's the Weather Like Where You Are?
« Reply #645 on: January 17, 2012, 02:27:46 pm »
It's England again except now, the flowers are starting to come up a month early for some, two months for others. I guess once they bloom, it will dump snow, freeze and then kill off spring.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #646 on: January 17, 2012, 03:01:50 pm »
(I teach a 7:30am lab, groan)

Purdue? I remember those 7:30s fondly.

Well, I remember them, anyway.

Actually, I don't remember some of them.
Yep, Purdue. Non-majors micro lab.
I'm sure at least a few of the students are sleeping. Heck, I'd rather still be sleeping then, too.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #647 on: January 17, 2012, 03:02:50 pm »

I remember not coming back for a second year.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #648 on: January 17, 2012, 04:03:46 pm »
Snowmageddon started a few hours ago, nice steady falling snow.  But that's just the start.

"Late Tuesday night through Wednesday, a strong low-pressure system with copious amounts of moisture will approach the Northwest coast. This will set the stage for a major winter storm across the lower elevations and mountains of the Pacific Northwest. Travel could become dangerous or impossible."

Apparently some radio station is advising people to make sure they have enough food at home to last 5-7 days.  Seems a bit paranoid, eh?

Then again we have no plows really, and no one has snow tires, and the terrain is really hilly.  But it's also supposed to turn to rain on Thursday, so it probably won't last the weekend.

I think we're going to miss out on those winds Denny, but you can have them!

Sounds like you guys are really gonna get socked.  I've been filling kegs with water.  Being on a well, if the power goes out, so does the water.  Fortunately, I have a hot tub full of water I can use for flushing the toilet!   :D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #649 on: January 17, 2012, 04:12:40 pm »
Sounds like you guys are really gonna get socked.  I've been filling kegs with water.  Being on a well, if the power goes out, so does the water.  Fortunately, I have a hot tub full of water I can use for flushing the toilet!   :D
We'll see if it materializes :)

I haven't filled any kegs, but as long as the pipes all remain intact a power outage won't affect that.  We lose the heat (not hot water), but that's only because the thermostat is electric.  Then again, the furnace might be electric-start.  I'm not worried, they buried most of the power lines over the last few years so trees falling on them is less of a problem.  Then again we've got the candles/flashlights out just in case.

I don't know, I'm mostly looking forward to some relaxing time at home. :)  No one expects you at work, my boss said she already has 6 inches at her place - she's just a few miles from me, and we've only gotten ~1.5 so far.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #650 on: January 17, 2012, 05:58:16 pm »

I'm sure at least a few of the students are sleeping. Heck, I'd rather still be sleeping then, too.

A lab at 7:30AM ?!  And students actually signed up for it?  Wow, must be a required class that is only available once a year.

I took linear algebra at 8:30AM and thought that was torture.  It was required and only given once a year.  The professor was a sadist (but also a good friend).
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #651 on: January 17, 2012, 07:03:17 pm »

A lab at 7:30AM ?!  And students actually signed up for it?  Wow, must be a required class that is only available once a year.
To be fair, the earliest times are relatively empty.  It's required for a number of majors, runs both semesters, and we have 15 sections of it this semester.  For some reason fall enrollment tends to be lighter; we only had 12 sections last semester.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #652 on: January 17, 2012, 11:03:23 pm »
It's England again except now, the flowers are starting to come up a month early for some, two months for others. I guess once they bloom, it will dump snow, freeze and then kill off spring.

We call that an "Indian Spring"!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #653 on: January 18, 2012, 10:31:11 am »

Somehow, that sounds much more insulting than "Indian Summer" does.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #654 on: January 18, 2012, 11:01:55 am »

+1

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #655 on: January 18, 2012, 11:17:25 am »

Huh???

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #656 on: January 18, 2012, 11:19:36 am »

Huh???

Double huh?! What?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #657 on: January 18, 2012, 11:22:18 am »

Huh???

Double huh?! What?

Maybe you should have said Native American Summer. :D

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #658 on: January 18, 2012, 11:37:21 am »

Huh???

Double huh?! What?

Maybe you should have said Native American Summer. :D

But the closest we have gotten to winter is it being just cold enough to put on a jacket but not cold enough to snow. Zero winter effect. Even just a week of it looking like winter would be great but if it is any indication, it will go full winter sometime in april.

Oh well, I guess I will just have to watch the news and listen about Seattle getting their biggest dump in a long time.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #659 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:27 pm »
Oh well, I guess I will just have to watch the news and listen about Seattle getting their biggest dump in a long time.
This isn't panning out.  I think most of it is passing south of us, which is nice if you want to go to work.  Parts of Seattle have less than an inch.  About 100 miles to the south I've heard places are getting up to 20 inches of new snow.  We've got about 4 here (7 inches accumulated) - it's still snowing, but only lightly.

The real question for me now is, will it keep snowing long enough for school to be canceled tomorrow, or will it change to rain and all melt away.  Hard to say, but there's a chance school will be out tomorrow too.
Tom Schmidlin