Other than Brewing > The Pub

What's the Weather Like Where You Are?

<< < (183/214) > >>

fatdogale:

--- Quote from: corkybstewart on February 23, 2013, 08:40:24 AM ---You can have the wind, all you want whenever.  Since we've had less than 15 inches of rain in the past 3.5 years when the wind blows so does the sand and the freaking tumbleweeds.  Check this out, it's not too far from us.
http://acidcow.com/video/42280-unbelievable_tumbleweeds_attack_in_midland.html
--- End quote ---

Got the beginnings of bad B sci-fi movie right there.

Chad Haatvedt:
Partly sunny,  18  inches of snow on the ground & 25 degrees Fahrenheit.  It would be a nice day to brew if I hadn't loaned my mash tun to someone.

corkybstewart:

--- Quote from: euge on February 23, 2013, 09:18:58 AM ---The biggest tumbleweed I ever saw was in Midland in the early 70's. It filled an entire alleyway as it rolled- it was too heavy to bounce. I ran from it...

However, I've never seen anything like in that video. Incredible.

On a side note, it's pretty foolish to drive into tumbleweeds. Hitting just one can end up with your vehicle burnt down to the axles. Especially trucks since the mass of tinder-dry bush can wedge up underneath the manifold, catylitic converter or the exhaust and burst into flame quite easily.

--- End quote ---
Obviously it was a company vehicle.  He probably only has half as much paint as he did when his day started.  Believe it or not, tumbleweeds are very hard to burn.  I have to soak them with lighter fluid to get them ignited, but once they ignite they burn fast and hot.

punatic:

--- Quote from: pinnah on February 23, 2013, 08:03:40 AM ---Puna!  Is that a huge glaring icicle in that photo?  Props for staging. 8)

--- End quote ---

That webcam has been mounted in the same spot for years.

UKIRT Weather Camera, Mauna Kea Summit

pinnah:

--- Quote from: punatic on February 24, 2013, 03:11:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: pinnah on February 23, 2013, 08:03:40 AM ---Puna!  Is that a huge glaring icicle in that photo?  Props for staging. 8)

--- End quote ---

That webcam has been mounted in the same spot for years.

UKIRT Weather Camera, Mauna Kea Summit

--- End quote ---

Hmmm, I was thinking the end of a big downspout! :-\

Has to be a nice trick of the eye thing then. 
A really small icicle, but really close to the camera?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version