Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Pump - Need power supply help  (Read 1958 times)

Offline tgoodemote

• 1st Kit
New Pump - Need power supply help
« on: December 02, 2010, 02:40:23 pm »
Greetings,

I have a pump that I obtained from my photo store, never been used with the following specifications:

Max Capacity:  12L/min
Max Head:  2.4m
Volts:  DC 24V
Amps:  0.4A
Output:  5W
Rating:  Cont

Would this be suitable to try for small/homebrewing purposes?  If so, I need to obtain a transformer/power supply for it, and I have no idea what to look for.  An ebay search of 24V transformer pretty well overwhelmed me. =)  Any advice on what to purchase?

Any help is certainly appreciated, thank you.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:44:11 pm by tgoodemote »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: New Pump - Need power supply help
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 03:39:29 pm »
The first question is if the pump can handle hot liquids.  If it can't, it is not very suitable in brewing. 

It appears the flow capacity is pretty low, at 12 liters / min.  That flow rating was probably achieved at a much lower head than the 2.4 meters listed, so the flow that you'll be able to get out of it is going to be less.  Its difficult to predict how much less without the pump curves. 

Regarding the power supply, I see that they list 5 watts as the output.  But, the input power is 24v times 0.4 amps, which is 9.6 watts.  If you find a 24v power supply that can deliver roughly double the 9.6 watts of power, that might do for you.  I suppose it would also be nice to have a power supply that includes a variable output so that you can throttle the pump.  You didn't describe if the pump was a peristaltic or centrifugal type.  If its a peristaltic, you have to have the variable output.  If its centrifugal, the motor can run wide open at all times and you use a valve on the pump discharge to control flow. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline tgoodemote

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 04:49:59 pm »
This pump was to be used for warm liquids in its photo application - warm being a relative term there, usually about 100F.  I don't care much what happens to the pump at this point so sacrificing it won't bother me if it fails.

It's a magnet pump with an impeller, so centrifugal I believe.

Any suggestions on where to get such a power supply for it?
Something like this?  http://cgi.ebay.com/Fultz-Groundwater-Submersible-Pump-AC-Power-Adapter-24V-/260233882497?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item3c9725eb81#ht_2786wt_905

Either way, thank you for the education already!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 11:08:44 am »
I don't think your pump will be suitable for brewing. It needs to be food grade and able to tolerate high temps (boiling). A March 809 pump will run you about $130 new and will run on 110v.

If your current pump has been exposed to chemicals you really don't want to risk your health or beer- in which order I can't say... ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tgoodemote

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:29:53 am »
It was never exposed to chemistry, so that's not an issue.  However, I'm agreeing on the other point - it seems like this pumps flow won't be adequate, the heat being an issue and finding a power supply being a problem... probably just easier to get a new one.

Thanks.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »
Based on the power consumption I don't think it will move enough liquid for you. Plus the food grade issue.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 10:14:23 am »
2 car batteries hooked in series will give you 24 vdc
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.