Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Problems with heights.....??  (Read 3669 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Problems with heights.....??
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:24:43 am »
Do not watch this unless seated in a chair equipped with a restraining device. If you have been drinking you may want to have a small bucket nearby........

Long linky shortened.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: Problems with heights.....??
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 06:17:23 am »
I can walk steel at four or five stories. But that is out of the question. That takes a certain kind of person for sure.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:33:44 am »
I can walk steel at four or five stories. But that is out of the question. That takes a certain kind of person for sure.

I've jumped out of a plane, but this just seems dangerous!  :o
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:10:24 am »
 I've been clocked doing 165mph in the rain @ daytona on a motorcycle but no frikkin wayy would I ever do that  :o

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 07:27:11 am »

I kept waiting for him to stop climbing.
"from here it's only 60 more feet to the top"
 :o
Dan S. from NJ

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:18:45 am »
I get queasy sitting on rest area toilets. But, that dudes glutes must look amazing!!   ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 09:50:10 am »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 09:56:17 am »
Do not watch this unless seated in a chair equipped with a restraining device. If you have been drinking you may want to have a small bucket nearby........

Long linky shortened.

Someones got to do it. But not me. Not ever.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 12:22:47 pm »
I used to not be afraid of heights.  In about 81, when I was touring as a roadie, I decided I'd take a job as a rigger hanging points for chain motors.  I could make an extra $100-200 a day in just a few minutes.  Everything went fine until we were playing a hockey rink somewhere in Canada.  As I was crawling out a beam to hang a point, I looked down and thought "I could die".  That was all it took.  It took me nearly 1/2 an hour to inch my way back.  My palms are sweating as I type this just thinking about it.  To this day, if I do much more than stand on a chair, I start losing it.  I even have a hard time watching movies involving heights.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 12:59:41 pm »
I'm not afraid of heights, but that made me nauseous.  Err, let me re-phrase that, I'm not afraid of heights in enclosed spaces - elevators, skyscrapers, airplanes etc - but is I'm up so high that the wind (or any other weather) could cause me to fall, I'll tense right up, especially if I have to rely on my own coordination and agility (or lack there of) to survive.

I'm glad someone has the stones to do that, but I'm more glad its not me...
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 01:04:57 pm »
Im not afraid of heights, its the fall that Im afraid of.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 01:09:35 pm »
I've been on a lot of roofs, doing HVAC work, dropping flu-liners. I can do with a ranch house, if the pitch is not to bad. But, get me a two story, or anything over a 8-12 pitch, and I'm done. I do ok in a scissor lift, no matter how high. I've been in many ceiling that were a 20' drop or better. Ok, with that too. Funny thing, I'm not scared of the height. I'm afraid of what I'll. When I get up high, I get an almost uncontrollable urge to jump. As dumb as it sounds, I really have to talk myself out of it, and it's not easy. I heard a few other guys that have the same thing happen.
  I have fallen out of one attic, and through the drop ceiling. Took the whole grid down with me, about a ten foot drop. Ironically, it turned out to be my last day working for that company..... :-\
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 01:09:58 pm »

I'm not afraid of the fall, just the sudden deceleration at the end.  :D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 01:12:37 pm »

Tubercle too. A terrible way to die. Too much time to think about it. I saw the films of those folks jumping out of the trade towers.

Not afraid of heights but what is holding me up. Buildings & planes OK, scaffolding not so much.

Watching this video made me sick. Had to drink a few extras to regain my composure.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 01:16:42 pm »
When I get up high, I get an almost uncontrollable urge to jump. As dumb as it sounds, I really have to talk myself out of it, and it's not easy. I heard a few other guys that have the same thing happen.

That's weird. I had the same feeling standing at the back of a cruise ship watching the wake. It's like "go ahead...it's OK". I liked to freaked the F&%c out!

Later, much later, this was mentioned to Ms. Tubercle, she said she had the same experience. What causes that?!?
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee