Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ProAm for the National Homebrew Competition  (Read 2694 times)

Offline greatshaitan

• 1st Kit
ProAm for the National Homebrew Competition
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:40:59 am »
I heard that there may be a ProAm competition for the National Homebrew comeptition this year?  Is this true, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: ProAm for the National Homebrew Competition
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:07:34 am »
This is news to me.  I'm sure Denny, Drew or Fred will chime in.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:44:54 am »
I haven't heard that either.  The pro-am is at the GABF, why have a second one?  Would it be the reverse - a pro recipe brewed on a home system?  Actually, that could be kind of cool . . .  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:00:18 am »
I've heard nothing about it and tend to think it's not true.  Janis would know one way or the other, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:27:15 am »
For the competition? Not that I know of.

For the conference and the Pro Night, it looks like we're arranging for local brewers and breweries to hook up and have a people's choice award.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 02:03:59 pm »
I'm on the competition committee for the AHA GC and it isn't something we've discussed (I don't even think it has been suggested).

I don't see how it would make sense in the context of a homebrew competition, though.

As far as the NHC goes, I don't think we really need additional ways to drive more entries.  We seem to be getting plenty of interest with the categories we have.  There used to be a New Entrant category, but that was removed a few years ago.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline greatshaitan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:50:43 am »
For the conference and the Pro Night, it looks like we're arranging for local brewers and breweries to hook up and have a people's choice award.

Drew, 

Thanks much for the info, this appears to be what is it was.  A bragging rights people's Choice award for the National Homebrew Conference .  Not an actual competition. See below for the email that was forwarded to me about this
_____________________________________________________________________________________
NHC Pro-Am Comp. Rules

Pro-Am Competition
The American Homebrewers Association and the San Diego local committee are proud to present the First Annual Pro-Am Competition of the National Homebrewers Conference.
Commercial Brewery Rules
1. Breweries that have a booth on the festival floor are eligible to enter a beer in the Pro-Am Competition.
2. Beer entered in the Pro-Am Competition must be available for tasting on the festival floor during Pro-Brewers Night.
3. Pro-Brewers Night Pro-Am beer will be served at the participating breweries booth on the festival floor.
4. Breweries may determine the homebrew recipe they scale up by whatever means they choose, possibilities include:
⁃ Ro Sham Bo
⁃ Select a random AHA member homebrewer off the street ⁃ Partner with a homebrewer friend or customer of yours ⁃ Choose a winning recipe and homebrewer from a previously held competition ⁃ Team up with an upcoming homebrew competition ⁃ Hold your own competition 5. Breweries may choose to restrict entries to categories they are reasonably able to brew. For example, breweries may choose not to accept recipes for fruit beers, sour beers, or beers requiring extended aging, etc.
6. Beer entered in the Pro-Am Competition does not need to be made commercially available.
7. Breweries may use their pilot system, however the homebrewer needs to be involved in the brewing process.
8. The homebrewer brewing their recipe with the professional brewery CANNOT be an employee of that brewery or on the brewing staff at any brewery.
9. The homebrewer must be an AHA member and must have a valid AHA membership at the time of the NHC. All brewery entrants must be members of the Brewers Association.
10. There is no entry fee associated with this competition.
11. No more than one entry per booth will be accepted in the NHC Pro-Am Competition.
12. No more than 25 total entries will be accepted for this competition. Entries will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
13. Pro-Brewers Night Pro-Am entries will compete in a people's choice styled popular vote.  Judges will be comprised of all festival goers in attendance at the National Homebrewers Conference Pro-Brewers Night on Thursday, June 16th, 2011 (8pm - 10pm). No Style Guidelines will be used as this is a people's choice competition.
14. Votes will be determined by ballot on the night of the event.
There will be only one winner. Medals will be issued to both the winning brewery and the winning homebrewer.
15. This competition is purely for fun and for bragging rights of both the winning brewery and the winning homebrewer.

Homebrewer Rules
1. All homebrewer entrants must be members of the AHA at the time the original homebrew entry is chosen as well as when the Pro-Am entry is judged (June 16, 2011). All brewery entrants must be members of the Brewers Association.
2. Competitions must be timed to give the brewery adequate time to brew the beer to be ready for entry to the National Homebrewers Conference Pro-Brewers Night Pro-Am Competition.
3. The homebrewer selection process is entirely up to the brewery, they may choose to work with an existing competition or create their own. Breweries may restrict the styles of the competition to styles they can reasonably brew.
4. AHA membership of the selected homebrewer will be verified by the AHA. AHA membership of the homebrewer must be current at the time of the NHC judging.
5. The homebrewer brewing their recipe with the professional brewery CANNOT be an employee of that brewery or on the brewing staff at any brewery.
6. No more than one entry per brewery will be accepted in the Pro-Brewers Night Pro-Am Competition. Individual AHA members may be associated with no more than one entry submitted into the Pro-Am Competition at the National Homebrewers Conference.
7. Pro-Brewers Night Pro-Am entries will compete in a people's choice styled popular vote.  Judges will be comprised of all festival goers in attendance at the National Homebrewers Conference Pro-Brewers Night on Thursday, June 16th, 2011 (8pm - 10pm). No Style Guidelines will be used as this is a people's choice competition.
8. Votes will be determined by ballot on the night of the event.
There will be only one winner. Medals will be issued to both the winning brewery and the winning homebrewer.
9. This competition is purely for fun and for bragging rights of both the winning brewery and the winning homebrewer.