Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling straight from spigot  (Read 2829 times)

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
Bottling straight from spigot
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:43:25 am »
I've been bottling beer by running the beer straight out of the spigot into the bottle and wonder if this is normal procedure. Feel like I'm oxygenating the wort as it runs down the side of the bottle as if using a decanter.
  Do most of you bottle in this way or always use some type off bottling adapter type thingy?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Bottling straight from spigot
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:50:09 am »
I've always used a bottling wand.  Go ahead and do yourself a favor and spend the $2.75

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/bottling/bottling-accessories/fermtech-bottle-filler.html
Joe

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:19:01 am »
You'e definitely adding oxygen to the beer, buy a cheap bottling wand or at least put a piece of hose over the spigot that goes all the way to the bottom of the bottle.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 08:22:47 pm »
   Thanks for the help,

I ordered the bottling wand + yeast culture starter kit and PH strips to continue the journey of the home brewer.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 09:28:04 pm »
i bottle from the spigot with a hose and a racking cane.  works fine. 
Don AHA member

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 08:30:59 am »
giga, while you're at it, I'd suggest ordering a spigot as backup too. Spigots are a challenge to properly clean and sanitize, given the interior parts that you can't access (on most, anyway). So you might either end up with infected batches somewhere down the road, or (as in my case) broken spigots when I got a bit aggressive trying to kill things. 180 degree water for 30 minutes may sanitize it nicely, but also can warp interior parts and make them unable to hold a seal.

I had an infection caused (apparently) by a bottling spigot that ruined many wonderful beers. That was very disheartening until I figured it out!

Offline monomer77

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 07:58:29 pm »
Wait, bottle from the spigot? the faucet? Just hook a hose to it and a bottling cane? Leave the tap open and simply fill the bottles down the hose through the cane? Do you have to cap right away?