Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Peppers and oil  (Read 4091 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Peppers and oil
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:46:35 am »
  Is there anything better than banana (thank you Gwen Stefani for teaching how to spell banana) pepper rings in oil, on a saltine cracker?! So, how do you guys make your peppers in Oil? I've been wanting to do a batch.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Peppers and oil
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:00:55 pm »
What is this? I've had pickled banana peppers, but not in oil. Had chile oil in various forms- usually made from crushed dried peppers.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:19:48 pm »
Same here...never heard of peppers in oil.  Around here, we make sweet pickled jalapenos.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:18:01 pm »
i get peppers in ohio every year.  various types all fried and packed in oil.  i used to make them myself but way easier to just buy a jar.  i put them in eggs, spaghetti, sandwiches..... mmmmm
Don AHA member

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:26:30 pm »
I love making homemade roasted red peppers packed in olive oil. They are great when you roast them black over hot coals and then run them under cold water and peel the black off. You can do them on a gas burner too, just have to keep turning them around so that they turn black evenly. Its great how only the outer skin burns and the flesh below get perfectly cooked.

They are great on a plate with roasted garlic, and or chopped fresh basil. I like mine sliced with anchovies on top.
They work great on bruscetta.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 01:30:28 pm »
My wife uses my brewing burner for roasting peppers.  Works great...the high heat blackens the skin and roasts the peppers without cooking them.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:34:52 pm »
I like mine sliced with anchovies on top.

I was with you up until that sentence ^^^^^^^  :(
We core em, grill em black, throw em in a pot with lid on to steam the skin off a bit more.
Freeze em in ziplock bags until we need them.
Then thaw em, peel em, hit em with oil, salt and garlic. Sometimes a splash of vinegar.
It's a side dish, not a condiment.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 01:50:12 pm »
Different but the bomb...... hot pepper oil. Take about a cup of your favorite oil (I prefer olive oil) and approx 1/4 cup dried hot peppers. Any hot pepper works - habaneros, jalapenos, thai, etc. Put the oil & pepper in a pan and heat, don't let the oil smoke. Once the peppers start sizzling, turn off the heat & let cool. Strain through paper coffee filter & you're good to go. Oil does not need to be refrigerated. I've also seen it with the bits of dried pepper & seeds left in the oil. Amazing how much pepper flavor & heat gets into the oil. 
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:50:28 pm »
I get the good anchovies. Not the ones at the grocery store. Those taste like salty cat food.

My brother in law is from Portugal. He does this thing that I really like, they get fresh anchovies. and grill them on hot coals with red peppers. sLice up the peppers and the fish and eat them on coal toasted Portuguese bread, They only do this if they have this special white wine. I cant remember what the wine is called but Im pretty sure it is only available in Portugal. It is a great combination. They also have this hard dry sausage that they call Chair-eesh and these sort of lima beans that are served cold peeled and eaten. They are sorta like boiled peanuts.  

I dont think there is a single style of European out door cooking event that would not have roasted oiled peppers present.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 02:01:15 pm »
I like to take dried Thai chili peppers and saute them in hot oil to extract the capsicum.
Then stir-fry some shrimp and vegetables to serve over rice with some soy sauce and sesame oil.

I get the peppers at the asian market.  They last a long time in the pantry.

I also like roasting jajapeno peppers in olive oil.
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 02:27:17 pm »
Same here...never heard of peppers in oil.  Around here, we make sweet pickled jalapenos.

Must be an eastern thing. I've been asking around about them here, and I just keep getting funny looks. There were hole in the wall restaurants and bars back in Ohio, that people would drive miles to, just to get their peppers in oil. I mean, you'd pull up in an alley, in the bad part of town, and some dude was trying to sell you his homemade peppers in oil, from the trunk of his car. And, these were usually the best ones, too.
  Can't find them here, so I gotta make my own.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 08:14:25 am »
I'm sorry.  I didn't hear a word you said after "Gwen Stefani" and "banana".
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 09:31:13 am »

I kinda had that same reaction..... :D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 06:05:49 pm »

I kinda had that same reaction..... :D

That was 13 posts ago!  Focus, guys!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 06:00:49 am »
We get these peppers called ancient sweets at BJs.  They are are long red pepper grown in Canada (look like giant cayenne) that are supper sweet.  I roast them on the grill and then just pack them with fresh garlic.  No oil is needed, the natural oils in the peppers is sufficient.  They are quite yummy and good for you too.  I pickle jalapenos and scotch bonnets.  The jalapenos are very tasty as are the scotch bonnets, but the scotch bonnets seem to cause me some pain the next day. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim