Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High effect FG on Extract Recipes from LME unfermentables  (Read 2444 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
High effect FG on Extract Recipes from LME unfermentables
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:51:47 am »
Hi all,
I've seen a lot of commentary on various posts regarding high FG on extract recipes as a result of unfermentables in LME, particularly as you go with the dark LME.  It seems a lot of brewers are getting to the 1.020-1.025s or higher, and most of the feedback from the experienced brewers, who have been doing this a whole lot longer than me and know a lot more that I do, seems to point to accepting it as the LME effect.

I've been doing extract recipes for 5 years.  A typical recipe for me is 6-7lbs of LME plus specialities, and I can get it to FG in the 1.008-1.012 reliably.  Heck, my RIS recipe (my fav) with 10lbs of Dark LME goes to 1.018FG.  I ferment in the mid 60s, make a starter, get good hot and cold breaks etc.  So am I just lucky, or am I doing things right, and there's more to it than just blaming LME.  Is it the quality of LME?  I use only Muntons or occasionally Breiss.  I've seen suggestions to replace some LME with Corn Sugar if you want a drier FG but I've never had to resort to that.

I'm not trying to start an argument or flame war here, quite the opposite.  I'm genuinely curious as to why my recipes are working out great for me.  Thanks in advance for the great input I know I'll get from the regulars here.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: High effect FG on Extract Recipes from LME unfermentables
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:10:50 pm »
Brand and color of LME make a big difference.  And it sounds like you're doing everything else right, so it's not too surprising.  Using LME _can_ lead to problems, but as you've shown, it doesn't have to.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:24:10 pm »
I wouldn't say folks are told to "accept it", just that it can easily happen.  With good practices, particularly in the yeast pitching amounts, there's no reason you can't get good attenuations.  Sounds like you've got good practices.
Joe

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:07:08 pm »
Freshness, color, yeast strain, and fermentation temperature all play important roles in attenuability.  I don't think this effect is limited to just LME, either.  I think it is mostly brand-name dependent, with the other variables all playing lesser roles.  The fact that your beers attenuate farther, I am guessing, is more a stroke of luck than anything else, unless you are a complete EXPERT on extract brewing.  I brewed with extract for about 5 or 6 years and then went all-grain and never looked back, so I probably should not comment further, not being an extract expert.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 10:47:39 am »
Thanks denny / hokerer, I figured as much but its nice to hear it from someone with more experience.

Although apparently I'm just lucky too  ;D

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:55:53 am »
I'm not trying to start an argument or flame war here, quite the opposite.  I'm genuinely curious as to why my recipes are working out great for me.  Thanks in advance for the great input I know I'll get from the regulars here.

No argument from me.  I've had great results from the Briess LMEs.  I usually like to stick with the Pilsen or Gold and added base and specialty malts in a mini-mash.  I usually base a recipe on a single 6# jug of LME and go from there.  Works great for me with my 3 gal mash tun and 7.5 gal kettle.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch