Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Not getting a lot of head....  (Read 3945 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Not getting a lot of head....
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 09:38:10 am »
Seems to be getting a little better........I guess it's that patience thing again..... ;D

How long has it been kegged?  The longer you give the CO2 to go into solution in the beer, the better the foam will be.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 11:26:17 am »
I think the rock and roll procedure gets a bad rap because people think that their beer will be perfect in just 5 or 10 minutes and that's just not the case. Yes, it helps speed up the process, but you still need some time to allow things to settle and stabilize, if that word can be used for beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 11:36:26 am »

Keith, I too shake kegs to force carb and haven't noticed that having a negative effect on foam.  But that doesn't mean I don't believe there are foam positive proteins that can get used up.  I take it to mean that I have enough of them that I can Use some up and still have plenty.

This is something I think is in need of discussion of itself I think. Like I mentioned before above: have you ever shaken a beer with a carbonater cap on under pressure? You get no foam. I assume that the foaming under pressure i very minimal under pressure in a corny keg as well. If the foam is not being formed under pressure, are the "foam positive proteins" still getting used up?

In addition to what else has been said, letting the beer cold condition can help improve foam stability. Also, as was mentioned, the "quick carbing" process works better after a couple days of sitting to allow the co2 to absorb into solution.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 11:43:03 am »
This is something I think is in need of discussion of itself I think. Like I mentioned before above: have you ever shaken a beer with a carbonater cap on under pressure? You get no foam. I assume that the foaming under pressure i very minimal under pressure in a corny keg as well. If the foam is not being formed under pressure, are the "foam positive proteins" still getting used up?

That's a very interesting thought that hadn't occurred to me.  You may be on to something!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 11:50:19 am »
Also, per the weyerman presentation in the pH forum that Ron just posted, high pH in finished beer seems to have a negative effect on foam (per that document, I have not tested that but think I might in the future).
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 02:21:30 pm »
Seems to be getting a little better........I guess it's that patience thing again..... ;D

How long has it been kegged?  The longer you give the CO2 to go into solution in the beer, the better the foam will be.

Yup. Kegged on Friday......perfect now. Nice head, retention and lacing. I'm a happy brewer. Now for the REALLY bad news...
I added a regulator and bottle pressure gauge for kegs 3 and 4 and when I moved the keg it was very light........... ::) :o

OH NO...... my beer has gone light.......

Thursday I'm brewing another APA and a Belgian IPA.

Seriously thinking about 50lb bags and 10g batches here......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....