Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2011 Jan-Mar Wyeast?  (Read 2358 times)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
2011 Jan-Mar Wyeast?
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:26:29 pm »
Does anyone know what the newest Wyeast private collection will be?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: 2011 Jan-Mar Wyeast?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 05:01:13 am »
Nope.  But last year was high gravity yeasts.  Imperial Blend, Olde Ale Blend, and Canadian Belgian Ale.  So probably a similar theme this year.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:01:44 am »
Wyeast currently has the Old Ale blend available so that one probably won't be released again next month.  After looking through the Wyeast Private Collection archives it is anybody's guess what will be released.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:32:46 am »
Wyeast Releases 1st Quarter 2011 Private Collection

Available January through March

2487-PC Helle Bock
Beer Styles: Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Munich Dunkel, Schwarzbier, Traditional Bock, Maibock/Hellesbock, Dopplebock, Eisbock
Profile: Direct from the Austrian Alps, this strain will produce rich, full-bodied and malty beers with a complex flavor profile and a great mouth feel. Attenuates well while still leaving plenty of malt character and body. Beers fermented with this strain will benefit from a temperature rise for a diacetyl rest at the end of primary fermentation.

Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV Attenuation: 70-74%
Flocculation: medium Temperature Range: 48-56°F (9-13°C)

3725-PC Bier de Garde

Beer Styles: Saison, Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Profile: Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.
Alcohol tolerance: 12% ABV Apparent attenuation: 74-79%
Flocculation: low Temperature range: 70-84°F (21-29°C)

3789-PC Trappist Blend
Beer Styles: Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Flanders Red, Oud Bruin
Profile: A unique blend of Belgian Saccharomyces and Brettanomyces for emulating Trappist style beer from the Florenville region in Belgium. Phenolics, mild fruitiness and complex spicy notes develop with increased fermentation temperatures. Subdued but classic Brett character.
Alc. Tolerance: 12% ABV Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: medium Temperature Range: 68-85°F (20-30°C)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:50:10 pm »
Thanks Denny!  It helps me plan my brewing schedule :)  I'm going IPA's and pale Ale's soon, so I won't be using the private collection this time!
Dave Malone

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:08:12 am »
Does anyone have any experience with either the Helle Bock or the Bier de Garde yeasts?
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:36:04 am »
I've used the Bier de Garde yeast.  It had a very unique flavor profile.  It's been a couple years, so I can't give better specifics.  My Bier de Garde turned out great though!
Dave Malone

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:10:07 am »
Does anyone have any experience with either the Helle Bock or the Bier de Garde yeasts?

The former is the Ayinger strain which should be similar to WLP833. I have not used it from Wyeast but have lots of good experiences with the White Labs version.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:30:49 am »
I've used the Hella Bock...I made about the best dunkel I've ever made with it.  I'm really happy to see it back!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell