Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: adding yeast to bottling bucket  (Read 2908 times)

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
adding yeast to bottling bucket
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:46:00 am »
I had a high gravity beer 1.084 finish out at 1.022 for a 73.8% attenuation.  The sample tasted cloyingly sweet to me.  In an effort to reduce the sweetness, I added red star dry pasteur champagne yeast thinking to bring it down furher. Do I dare just add the normal amount of priming sugar for bottling? Should I cold crash it first in my cold Minnesota garage for a day or so prior to adding fresh yeast for bottling?  What would the appropriate course of action be for this?    ???   thank you.
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: adding yeast to bottling bucket
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 10:50:30 am »
Unless there is something "special" or "different" that happened in your mash or your fermentation I would suspect that the beer is done.  You can try and add the yeast but I doubt you will see much, if any, difference as a result.  1.084 is not that high of an OG. 

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:19:38 am »
I'd keg it.  Then if it ends up over carbonated, I could release the excess pressure & still enjoy. 
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 07:27:24 am »
Unless there is something "special" or "different" that happened in your mash or your fermentation I would suspect that the beer is done.  You can try and add the yeast but I doubt you will see much, if any, difference as a result.  1.084 is not that high of an OG. 

Fred

I have only been brewing for 1 year and your post lit a light bulb for my brain cells to see a little clearer Fred.... This was the first brew I made which was intended to end up with this high of a FG.   I mistakenly thought by adding the champagne yeast that it would reduce the 1.022 gravity down further.  I now realize my original yeast had indeed done their job by converting all the fermentables while leaving only the non-fermentables and a 1.022 FG.  Since this was not a 'stuck' fermentation, by adding the champagne yeast to this non-fermentable wort for an additional 14 days, I was just wasting the yeast, right?  Oh well, it did give the secondary an additional 14 days of aging..  :)  I bottled this batch yesterday, and sure enough, the hydrometer still said 1.021 - 1.022 ..... 
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...