Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thanksgiving Accident  (Read 2402 times)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Thanksgiving Accident
« on: December 07, 2010, 08:56:16 am »
So I got rear-ended on Thanksgiving morning. Getting close to a settlement with the ins. co. My Jeep is totaled out - it's really not so bad except for that damn unibody being crinkly now. But me and my girls were OK, so the old Cherokee did its job.

Hopefully I'll be able to replace it this week. After that accident, I'm an even bigger fan of the platform so I'm looking at getting pretty much the exact same thing. The guy that hit me must've been going about 50 (I was stopped) and I don't think he even tapped the brakes. His front end was completely gone. I wish I had taken pictures.

Yup, that's what a totaled Cherokee looks like.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Thanksgiving Accident
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:14:15 am »
Wow...glad you and your family are ok.  How did the other guy fare?  What kind of car was he driving?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 09:17:00 am »
That's totaled?  Cooooooome on!

Glad you're all okay though.
Jesse

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 09:24:26 am »
Was it Tiger Woods up to his old Thanksgiving tricks again?
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 09:31:22 am »
Yeah, for those of you who haven't been through this process before (I've totaled out a few vehicles) the word "totaled" means it's a "total loss" to the insurance company - The repairs would be more than 70% of the value of the vehicle. Or in other words, it's cheaper for them to negotiate a cash settlement than it is to repair the damage and pay for a rental.

As you can imagine, this is very easy to do on a unibody vehicle, or one in which multiple airbags have been deployed. In my case, the buyback is about $175, so this Jeep will live on as someone's trail rig or be parted out. Once the unibody is toasted, I wouldn't put it back on the road. Some people straighten them, but if you look at the "frame rails" on these it's a pretty sketchy affair.

The other guy was driving what appeared to be a late-model Audi. Hard to tell afterwards, though. It looked real bad, but fortunately nobody was hurt.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:37:53 am »
Definitely a candidate for a trail rig...... if you bobcat it all you have to trash is the wrinkles..... ;D
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:57:24 am »
Yeah, for those of you who haven't been through this process before (I've totaled out a few vehicles) the word "totaled" means it's a "total loss" to the insurance company - The repairs would be more than 70% of the value of the vehicle. Or in other words, it's cheaper for them to negotiate a cash settlement than it is to repair the damage and pay for a rental.

Prepare to get screwed.  I hate auto insurance worse than the IRS-the IRS is more honest and a lot fairer to deal with.  My wife and my son were both involved in accidents where they were hit by other people who were clearly at fault.  Bizarrely both times there were cops at the scene who witnessed the accidents.  The insurance companies tried to give us $300 for my wife's 10 year old Jetta, there was nothing wrong with it before the accident, it was just in their terms "fully depreciated".  We fought them and ended up getting about $4000. 
When my son got T-boned we only got $1200 for the Bronco II which had 256K miles so that would have been fair if I hadn't spent $1000 on repairs the week before, but I fought the other guy's insurance for almost 2 years to pay for his medical bills.  It cost him a college scholarship for track but they wouldn't even consider paying that.  We got totally hosed on that deal.
I truly hate the insurance industry-every aspect of it whether it's medical, homeownrers or auto, business liability you name it.  It's legally mandated thievery. 
End of rant

Nate, the best thing is that everybody walked away unhurt.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:10:03 am »
I agree. If you keep cars for a while and maintain them, they still get easily totaled and you're out a good car. Good luck finding one in the same shape for they they give you. Unfortunately, it usually results in people getting some sort of restitution in the form of "unwarranted" medical claims. The auto claim is cut and dry, but the medical claims isn't.

This is why you see so many attorneys advertising on TV.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 10:13:10 am »
Sorry about the loss. I hope the insurance company takes good care of you.  Most importantly, I'm glad to hear the girls and you are okay.

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 10:16:07 am »
We definitely had a lot to be thankful for this year. It could have ended up much, much worse.

Corky, I generally agree with you about insurance companies, but in this case they're coming in pretty close to what it's worth. I'm just glad I hadn't put the work into it that I was planning yet. I'm glad, because in NJ, medical claims are paid out of your own coverage regardless of fault. If you get taken to a hospital from the scene, you can sue, but otherwise you have no leverage in that regard.

Oscar - Yeah, this would be a great project for someone. 5 speed, 8.25 Chrysler rear, 124k on the clock. That body damage is nothing a sawzall couldn't fix.  ;D

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 06:48:17 pm »
Good news, everyone!

I just picked up my replacement Cherokee. No pics right now because it was dark when I got home, but it's in pretty decent shape. This one has a tow package on it, so maybe in a couple of years when this divorce crap settles down I can finally get that pop-up camper I've always wanted.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 09:33:40 pm »
Has anyone ever dealt with a private adjuster in these matters?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 10:56:20 pm »
No, I've totaled out 3 cars. Each time I just argued with the insurance adjuster until I got what I thought would cover my expenses.

Well, no... The first one, they gave me $1,200 for a 72 El Camino with a dented fender. I was so blown away I just took the money and ran.