Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oak Chips  (Read 1357 times)

Offline frazeejf

• 1st Kit
Oak Chips
« on: December 08, 2010, 07:03:03 pm »
I am getting ready to transfer a high gravity Imperial Stout (1.106) to secondary. I am going to add oak chips in the secondary for about 10 days. I've read all about the differences and pros and cons of chips vs. cubes. Just wondering how many ounces of chips is typical for this style and gravity of beer and length of secondary fermentation (10 days).....2 ounces......4 ounces?

Also, is it best to place the chips in a mesh bag and add some weight (sanitized of course) or just dump the chips right in and let them float around?

Cheers,
John Frazee
Louisville, CO

beveragebob

Re: Oak Chips
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:54:01 pm »
It's a preference thing on how many ounces to add. It also depends on what type of oak it is. American has a "bigger" flavor than French. I usually use 2 ounces of chips and 4 ounces of cubes per 5 gallons because chips have more surface area than cubes and I age it for at least 6 months. For chips, I always use a mesh bag or your pouring/racking/cleaning will be a nightmare.

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
Re: Oak Chips
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:29:21 am »
I would recommend tasting the beer regularly once it is on the oak, I just bottled a batch that was on 3oz of oak chips for 4 weeks and already had a lot of oak flavor (they were American Oak chips). I also added them loose into the secondary and then used a hop sock over the auto siphon to stop them cauing any problems and it worked a treat.