Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Canning Wort for Starters in Pressure Canner  (Read 11163 times)

Offline makemehoppy

• Cellarman
Re: Canning Wort for Starters in Pressure Canner
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 06:50:15 am »
vert - I always boil my water for rehydration (only takes 1/2 cup) in the microwave and let it cool to ~100 before rehydrating. Sure I could easily can a quart, but then I'd have to figure out what to do with what remains. No real need to reuse yeast when using dry yeast. ;)
I am considering reusing dry yeast as the price is now about $4. I don't understand what changed but the price doubled in the past year in my local shop and internet sites I've seen.

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 07:19:35 am »
I am considering reusing dry yeast as the price is now about $4. I don't understand what changed but the price doubled in the past year in my local shop and internet sites I've seen.

What changed was the acceptance of their dry yeast. And the price went to what the market will bear. Other dry yeasts are still a buck or less a pack.
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline makemehoppy

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 06:23:24 am »
Stout_Fan  I think you are right.

Along with this thread. I made a high gravity beer and I sparged extra when done for starter wort. I sanitized a gallon plastic container and filled and froze it. Anyone freeze fresh wort before and how long did it hold up without souring?