Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SMaSH Beers  (Read 8244 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
SMaSH Beers
« on: November 15, 2010, 12:01:54 am »
The article inspired me - I brewed an all MO/Glacier bitter today (w/WLP002). I've had an an MO/Cascade IPA at a brewpub in Portland (Amnesia), but couldn't really tell what it was supposed to taste like since it was always SUPER CLOUDY and full of suspended yeast. Man, I wish that more brewpubs filtered their beers...

If it turns out good, I was thinking about brewing up an MO/Centennial APA (around 1.055 at 40 IBU). Anyone else tried something like that?

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
Re: SMaSH Beers
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 08:20:06 am »
I made a Maris Otter / Cascade SMASH yesterday.   I think I put a bit too much Cascade in as the hydrometer sample was rather hoppy, but we'll see after fermentation.   I'll let you know how it turns out.
Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:06:58 am »
This article caught my fancy too, but most of the recipes were for paler beers. what grains would/could you use for darker beers? Browns and/or Stouts? That could be interesting.  ;)
Tulsa, OK

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:18:44 am »
as mentioned in the SMaSH thread in beer recipes, a dunkel with all dark munich and hallertau would be quite tasty.

stout... hmmm, 15lbs of roast barley should do it...

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:12:10 pm »
This article caught my fancy too, but most of the recipes were for paler beers. what grains would/could you use for darker beers? Browns and/or Stouts? That could be interesting.  ;)

Well, you could brew 100% Munich or Vienna, but that's about it. I suppose technically you could brew with 100% Belgian Aromatic or 100% Brown Malt, but that would be pushing the diastatic abilities of those malts and there would be no guarantee of success.

In addition to Maris Otter and Golden Promise, I think 100% Optic, Halcyon, or Pearl would make a flavorful Bitter. Great Western Pale is probably just one of the "Pale" malts that can be used for that basic flavor profile. There are plenty of "English-style" domestic base malts, like Gambrinus ESB, Briess Ashburne Mild malt, there are probably more options that I am just not aware of. I am surprised that the article didn't go into much detail about a classic BoPils being generally 100% Pilsner Malt and 100% Saaz, but there are really more pilsner malt options  than I could count, each providing their own little something (perhaps a good test would be to brew several identical pilsners with different base malts, but I don't care for pilsners much, so I won't be doing that test).

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:42:47 pm »
My Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter and Glacier SMaSH bitter came out surprisingly neutral. What is surprising is that I used a pretty characterful yeast and got very little yeast presence (perhaps due to a lowish fermentation temperature). I used a lot of hops for the gravity (1.045), but the hop flavor and aroma are very restrained. And the color is more pale than anything I have brewed. This beer was always going to be bottled and given as a gift to my girlfriend's grandpa (who is a Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve man). I figured he would enjoy something low in alcohol, light in color, and just a little more flavorful than what he's used to. I was concerned that this recipe was going to be too "English" and too hoppy for him, but it is almost as neutral as a lager. I think Glacier is an even more neutral hop than Willamette or Mt. Hood. In the future, I plan to try this hop primarily for malt-forward beers. Here's the recipe:

Fermentables
UK Pale Ale Malt (Maris Otter) 9lb 0oz (100.0 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
US Glacier (5.7 % alpha) 30 g Loose Whole Hops used 60 Min From End
US Glacier (5.7 % alpha) 30 g Loose Whole Hops used 20 Min From End
US Glacier (5.7 % alpha) 30 g Loose Whole Hops used 5 Min From End
US Glacier (5.7 % alpha) 30 g Loose Whole Hops used At turn off
US Glacier (5.7 % alpha) 30 g Loose Whole Hops used Dry-Hopped

Yeast: White Labs WLP002-English Ale (1L stir-plate starter)
OG 1.045, FG 1.011, 4.6% ABV
IBU ~35

Single Step Infusion (68C/154F) w/Mash-Out