Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finishing an attic  (Read 5187 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Finishing an attic
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 03:24:18 am »
Ya'all need to realize this is happening in another country. Blanket statements that apply in the US re. land lords, insurance etc do not apply. Many more people in Europe do not own their homes. My grandparents lived in the same rental home for 50+ years. and spent money on the place several times.There are strict regulations regarding rents, raising rents etc etc.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 08:53:01 am »
You're saying 400 euros to build a new house, understood. Is it possible to buy a 'used' house there? There's gotta be houses on the market for sale that are much lower priced?! And do you get a mortgage over there to buy a house like you do here?
Phoenix, AZ

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:16 am »
You're saying 400 euros to build a new house, understood. Is it possible to buy a 'used' house there? There's gotta be houses on the market for sale that are much lower priced?! And do you get a mortgage over there to buy a house like you do here?

Oh you can for sure find stuff lower than that, but here's an example of what you can get for less, nearby my current house:

http://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobilieres/158139270.htm?ca=12_s
http://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobilieres/121289264.htm?ca=12_s
http://www.leboncoin.fr/ventes_immobilieres/101540577.htm?ca=12_s

The thing is, if I'm going to spend upwards of 350k on buying something that already exists, I want it to be the house of my dreams. These houses are most definitely not that. What I want to do, in the end, is build an American colonial row-style house with a wraparound porch and lots of yard space. Anything that was built around here after 1945 has the same aesthetic appeal as cranberry sauce shaken from a can.

Mortgage, yup. But given the global economy, I want to put at least 50% down before I buy something.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 10:07:11 am »
From a resale point, wouldn't building an American style, colonial house be risky? Seems like the locals might frown on that.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 11:23:07 am »
From a resale point, wouldn't building an American style, colonial house be risky? Seems like the locals might frown on that.

It wouldn't be something I'd want to ever resell.
----

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:31:55 pm »
Cmon now! You don't like purple kitchens?! So are you going to be able to find a piece of land to build your dream house on in that area... I'm assuming there's alot of farmland around? is it even possible to zone it out for what you want? and whats wrong with buying one of these existing houses and remodling it a bit? You seem to like to remodel....
Phoenix, AZ

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 05:42:45 pm »

The house was built with wood-burning fireplaces and chimneys on both sides, so I know it's had wood burned in it before. But that's a great piece of advice, to check with our insurance first. Thanks!

For summer, I'm not too worried. We get about a week of an 85-degree "heat wave" and then it settles to 75-78 for the entire summer, so I think I'll be ok. Sure beats the heck out of the Arkansas summers I grew up with. 90 deg f, 70% humidity. No thanks.

It's not even so much the chimney that is the concern, but what is on the walss where the wood burner will be placed. Also, keep in mind, 75* outside, means 90* or better in the attic. I'm you'll get it all straight and be comfortable.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 05:46:42 pm »
I love cranberry sauce shaken from the can.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 06:41:15 pm »
I like turtles.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 09:24:09 pm »
I have a turtle head poking out!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 06:24:43 am »
A quick update - we had dinner with the Landlord the other night and talked about our plans. He was planning on redoing the entire attic and putting plumbing, new windows, etc sometime in the next five years. Basically, we offered to pay for up to 10k of the cost (which may end up being +- half of the total cost) in exchange for our rent not being raised for the duration of our lease. Obviously we need to get it in writing, but this seems like a pretty good deal to me. 10k spread over 8 years is about 100 per month, which would be less than what the rent would go to otherwise, since adding an extra floor to a house would bump it up 300-500 per month, typically. What do you think? Is it a good deal?
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 01:58:09 am »
It's up to you really - you've got to decide if it's worth it.  Although from my perspective your math is off, you've got to consider the payment plan and how much the money would be worth in 8 years if you invested it rather than spent it.  It still might be worth it to you, that's your call, it's just how I would think about it.
Tom Schmidlin