Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dundee Honey Brown  (Read 1768 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Dundee Honey Brown
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:11:13 am »
I've been eying this for years. Bought some tonight. Label says "Extra Rich"  ??? Not much honey to it nor richness. Drinkable at 4.5%- think I could pound six of these and still find my way.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Dundee Honey Brown
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:49:05 am »
I knew a guy who used Honey Brown as a secret ingredient in margaritas.  Don't remember how much, I think it was just a splash, but they were damn good.  I got a bottle once as part of a club Christmas beer exchange (I'm sure someone was amused).  Used it to braise bratwurst.  Meh.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:55:46 am »
I vaguely remember this beer. It was okay as I remember it. I think this is a Genesee product or at least used to be. Pretty smooth and clean, maybe too much so for a brownie. Probably more like a session beer than anything else.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:31:24 am »
It's not even brown. When I poured there was a double take. Pale lager?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:05:00 am »
I tried this beer once about 15 years ago. Totally stumped when I poured it in a bottle and saw it wasn't brown at all. Never bothered with any of their other offering again.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 06:16:15 am »
The last time I remember having the beer it was the best of a bad lot at a piano bar. Seem to remember it being overly sweet.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:17:48 am by MDixon »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:39:45 pm »
I just blended about 2 ounces of Malheur 12 with a bottle of the HB. Figured it would be a pretty decent blank canvas for the Belgian beer.

The beer turned it brown- fixed that. Made it much more interesting and flavorful so I guess that takes care of the "rich" part.  ;D