Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sparkling Beer?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline geobrewer

• Cellarman
    • GeoBrewer
Sparkling Beer?
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:32:28 pm »
Back in my college days (about 30 years ago) there was a beer store near campus (southern NH) that sold over 100 different kinds of beer from all over the world. One of the beers we bought quite often was some kind of "sparkling" beer. I do not remember the brewery, or even what country it came from, but I do remember it was an ale, bottle conditioned (lots of sediment), and came in a regular style capped bottle. I remember it was a light color and light tasting beer, and if you tried to drink it right out of the bottle (stupid college kids) it would foam so much it would squirt out of your mouth.

My question is, where can i find a recipe for such a beer? I'm kind of new to homebrewing, and I have seen a few recipes that might result in something similar, but I'm really not sure where to start. I'm assuming it was some kind of Belgium ale. Most of the recipes that call for high carbonation I see recommend using champagne style bottle for bottling, but I'm sure this beer came in a standard style bottle.

Sorry if this is kind of a vague question, I'm just curious to see what some of you pros have to say about this.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Sparkling Beer?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 01:39:40 pm »
Was it a Cooper's Sparkling Ale?  Red label?  Sounds like it.  There was a clone recipe in BYO a few years ago written by Tony Wheeler.  Try googling that.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 01:51:10 pm »
Also,  I think that beer is bottle conditioned with the same yeast used to ferment.  You should be able to grow it up into a pitch if your into that kind of thing.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 01:55:10 pm »
Yes.  It's also available as WLP009.  It's pretty much required for the style.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline geobrewer

• Cellarman
    • GeoBrewer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:08:36 pm »
Was it a Cooper's Sparkling Ale?  Red label?  Sounds like it.  There was a clone recipe in BYO a few years ago written by Tony Wheeler.  Try googling that.

Thanks! I'm not sure if it was Coopers or not (too much time has passed  :)) but it sounds similar. I've found a few references to Tony Wheeler's recipe, but not the actual recipe yet. Will keep trying.

I did find a few others, though, such as this one:
http://kristiandomagala.blogspot.com/2010/02/31-csa-coopers-sparkling-ale-clone.html

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 09:41:40 pm »
Crisp, dry, fruity and with thin body. I think it's 2-row and sugar. I'm going to make a small batch.

I have the issue. I look for it.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 09:49:42 pm »
OG 1.045 FG 1.005 35 IBU

7 lb. 11 oz Joe White Pilsner (?)
11.6 oz Joe White Wheat malt
7 oz Wyermann CaraRed(R)
*Mash for fermentability
8.4 AAU Pride Of Ringwood 90 mins.
Cooper's yeast (cultured from bottle) fermented at 68F