Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Muscadine  (Read 2588 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Muscadine
« on: December 25, 2010, 03:20:17 pm »
Tubercle has never posted in this forum before so some of you may not know me...Hi all.

Every year several batches of blackberry and plum wine is made - the specialty - and right now there is 12 gallons of peach that is waiting to be bottled.

But, a 6 gallon batch of muscadine was started on Christmas eve using 26 pounds of fruit. Going to be hard to wait on this one.

Patience is a virtue.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Muscadine
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 04:15:00 pm »
Interesting. Are these growing wild or cultivated?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 04:20:46 pm »
These are a combination of wild and cultivated. I have one 3 year old vine that yielded about half. The rest was from stomping through the woods. They are everywhere around here. Kept them in the freezer until now.

I have laid out a small vineyard though and am about to order six muscadine vines and six Zinfandel vines to plant in my back yard. Right next to the hops:)
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 07:26:17 pm »
I would love to grow grapes for wine. Sounds like a blast. I would love to have a basement full of dego red.

When I was in wine country of Hungary I was surprised. ( not knowing much about wine) the grapes are just awful to eat. I mean terrible. And the condition of some of the grape that they were making wine with. Yikes. You would never eat them. They looked like they were grapes that were found on the ground.

The wine was fantastic though.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:41:54 am »
When I was in wine country of Hungary I was surprised. ( not knowing much about wine) the grapes are just awful to eat. I mean terrible. And the condition of some of the grape that they were making wine with. Yikes. You would never eat them. They looked like they were grapes that were found on the ground. The wine was fantastic though.

Yeah, but the Hungarians have their aszu, or tokaji wines...I've tried finding these locally and they are brutally expensive.  What makes them so distinctive?  "Noble rot".

Sometimes subpar products can lead to great innovations.  The wines of Cognac were considered weak, thin, and acidic, until they found a better purpose in the pot still...

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:53:32 pm »
Dang Tubercle, I remember picking muscadines once...I think the wasps got the better
end of the fruit.  And for the wild ones,,,you and the briars and the ticks and chiggers...takes some
special methods and or real good insect repellant.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 10:48:45 am »
Dang Tubercle, I remember picking muscadines once...I think the wasps got the better
end of the fruit.  And for the wild ones,,,you and the briars and the ticks and chiggers...takes some
special methods and or real good insect repellant.

Dedication, my man, dedication ;D

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 11:32:52 pm »
So, do you have chiggers....or do ya keep a pair of pyrethrum  treated dungarees??
How do ya deal with the native fauna?   Copperheads? Moccasins? 
 Floura...Poison Oak/Sumac/Ivy??   
 Man I love to stomp the woods but....some things leave reason to be desired.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:38:15 am »
Ticks. >:(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis