Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vanilla Beans  (Read 3103 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Vanilla Beans
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:34:00 am »
I have a winter ale recipe calling for vanilla bean extract (I actually have beans on hand and thought I would give them a try).  Does anyone have any recs on how much to use and should they be added to the boil or the secondary fermenter.  I do not want too much of an overpowering vanilla flavor.  Thanks

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Vanilla Beans
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 11:36:09 am »
Definitely the secondary.  How much to use depends on how good the beans are.  I just used 1 bean in a 5 gal. batch of BVIP, but it was the best, freshest vanilla I've ever found.  The vanilla will fade, so if you think the beer will be around for a while, go a bit heavy on it at first.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:40:05 am »
Thanks. The vanilla beans are indian vanilla beans (what my local grocery had on hand) and smell great.  Not sure what the final flavor will be but I guess we'll see

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:58:43 pm »
You can always use beans and then fine-tune with extract if it needs a bit more, but please use the real stuff.  I use Penzey's, but anything real will work.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:00:42 pm »
You can always use beans and then fine-tune with extract if it needs a bit more, but please use the real stuff.  I use Penzey's, but anything real will work.

Gordon, next time you need to order some, try http://www.hawaiianvanilla.com/ .  My sister started working there recently and sent me some.  Best vanilla beans I've ever used.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 01:07:40 pm »
I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks for the tip.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:26:30 pm »
I've used www.beanilla.com and have been very happy with them...
Phoenix, AZ

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 01:48:32 pm »
I've used www.beanilla.com and have been very happy with them...

After I found they were featuring my recipe (http://www.beanilla.com/bourbon-vanilla-imperial-porter-a-6.html), I tried them.  They were good, but not as good as the Hawaiian.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 02:06:18 pm »
what was the difference? just 'fresher'? are the varieties they sell grown exclusively in Hawaii or imported?
Phoenix, AZ

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 02:09:01 pm »
what was the difference? just 'fresher'? are the varieties they sell grown exclusively in Hawaii or imported?

It's grown in HI.  It's the only Us vanilla farm.  Check out the website for more info.  I found the freshness to be incredible...the beans were almost "juicy".

www.dennybrew.com

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 03:17:57 pm »
very expensive! but his process sounds somewhat unique... I thinking 'terrior' (spelling correct?)
Phoenix, AZ

beveragebob

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 04:33:00 pm »
Looks more expensive but, if they are that fresh, I'd venture to say you could probably use less per batch and have the same effect with allot more "stale" vanilla beans from elsewhere.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 04:44:11 pm »
I usually use at least 2 of the other beans I've gotten.  I used 1 1/2 of these and it's almost too much.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 05:30:02 pm »

Rainforest spices has awesome vanilla beans and extract.  discovered it when I was in Costa Rica last year.
I'll have to try the Hawaiian Vanilla Beans soon.