Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Portable Irish Coffin Box  (Read 10193 times)

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
Portable Irish Coffin Box
« on: December 09, 2010, 04:22:21 am »
I have been doing a fair amount of beer festivals lately and needed a tap box to serve from. In the past I was simply using a cobra style dispenser and often filling pitchers from the keg. I also wanted to have a bit more class, as I am often serving alongside professional brewers who have nice looking boxes in which to serve. My requirements included at least 4 taps, portable, light weight and something that had my name/ brand on it.

I drew up some dimensions and came up with this Irish Coffin Box, here some pictures of the quick and easy build:

I started with some 3/8" "Birch plywood"

To cover the ugly ends of the plywood, I used some iron-on banding , also made of birch

trimming off the excess with a razor blade:

In the theme of keeping this box light, I used some simple pressure treated frame pieces:

Here's a shot of the corner bracing, glued and nailed for strength:

Then I added some molding to the top collar and footings here:

Pretty plain still , I added from fancier molding to add more depth and character:

Now for a finish, to set the birch apart from the molding , I first tapped off the surface:

A finish I like is called "french polishing" , which is several layers of 3lb shellac cut with denatured alcohol and using a figure eight pattern, it adds depth and clarity to any natural grain patterns. It's a very old style technique for finishing furniture.

To highlight the wood, I painted the molding black:

I added my brewery name from some cut-out letters obtained at a craft store, these are cheap and time saving:

French Polish by itself isn't really waterproof, but adds a great under-finish, I then coated the whole box with PolyU, spilling beer on this box is a given, the poly adds much protection to the project:

Lastly, I added my four taps and finished the box:

Got to use it this past weekend and it worked very well , light , strong and decent looking.
Brewing up history

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Portable Irish Coffin Box
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:40:10 am »
Another classy project.  Nice work.    :)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 08:09:31 am »
looks like you really know what you are doing.

What will be inside? a cooler to hold the ice?

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 08:14:45 am »
Very nice work.

What kind of faucets are you using?
Ron Price

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:56 am »
Thanks all, nothing inside the box really. In the last picture you can see some small feet , just enough for the liquid lines to pass under. Beer and gas are stored below a serving table, and because of the fequency of beers tapped at a fest, no need to insulate any lines or anything else. It's simply a nicer way to get the beer into a glass, and portable for a few hours of drinking/serving. The faucets are a mix of stainless and chrome, whatever I had laying around, not anything special but does the job fine.

This could be used at a picnic,party, homebrew meeting or club event or beerfest, a little different than a fixed tap on your bar, which would be constructed more rugged and insluated.
Brewing up history

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 10:47:23 am »
Very nice craftsmanship!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

jaybeerman

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 12:14:08 pm »
I think you just found your niche.  Brewing is fun (not always as profitable as people would think) but you'd make a killing selling tap box/coffins.  Think about it who wouldn't want to be buried in a four tap tap box although being on the inside might not be as fun as being on the outside.  Talk about going out in style.

btw, that is a great tap box

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 07:05:38 pm »
Nice!!! Great work!
Tulsa, OK

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:14:23 am »
Fantastic!!!  What are dimensions of the box?

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 03:16:47 am »
Dimensions are  22' w X 14" h x 10" d
Brewing up history

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 11:19:38 pm »
That's looks great, well done :)