Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need a Gluten Free Beer recipe  (Read 2670 times)

Offline fireman85p

• 1st Kit
Need a Gluten Free Beer recipe
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:47:33 am »
So I have got myself into a dilemma here. My uncle was a craft beer drinking type guy until he got celiac disease and everything needs to be gluten free. Saw him over thanksgiving and told him I have been home brewing a lot this year and I promised him that I would brew a gluten free beer for him. It continues to get better….. He has 7 buddies that are the same and now they are all waiting for this brew and I do not even know where to start. Please Help! I have done some searches on the internet but do not know where to start. I need a bad ass gluten free recipe for these guys because I would hate to be in there shoes.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Need a Gluten Free Beer recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:18:46 pm »
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/briess-white-sorghum-syrup.html

Do some searches on this forum, there have been previous discussions on it.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:13:19 pm »
I just did a sorghum beer for a friend crashing with us for a few weeks.  The best advise I have to use a lot of hops if you can afford it.  I went for something like a small IPA and wished I had gone bigger.  You could also think about using other ingredients like cinnamon, nutmeg, etc to make a christmas like beer.  Whatever you do don't think that sorghum is a great single malt beer...
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline spowlison

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 11:34:11 am »
I've had good luck using White Labs Clarity Ferm with an all-barley recipe. You pitch this additive along with the yeast and it seems to work pretty well. Charlie P. writes about this in the upcoming Jan/Feb issue of Zymurgy and it is covered in the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of Zymurgy. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I believe it does something to prevent the gluten proteins from precipitating in the beer.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 08:53:56 am »
I just did a sorghum beer for a friend crashing with us for a few weeks.  The best advise I have to use a lot of hops if you can afford it.  I went for something like a small IPA and wished I had gone bigger.  You could also think about using other ingredients like cinnamon, nutmeg, etc to make a christmas like beer.  Whatever you do don't think that sorghum is a great single malt beer...

Can you share the recipe? AG is fine. I have a friend with Celiac and would like to brew him something.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....