General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Aging Saisons?

(1/3) > >>

boulderbrewer:
How long should Saisons be aged if at all? Historically they were aged. How long do you age them?

majorvices:
Depends. I brew a number of different Saisons. Some I drink fresh. Other I might age for 2 weeks and other 4-6 weeks. It just depends on the OG and yeast.  I have some Saisons that are several years old - way past their prime. I have some soured saisons that are over a year old that I haven't even tasted yet.

The saison I brew most frequently though I age for about 2 weeks and drink. it is a 1.060ish Saison spiced with Ginger and Lime leaves. It is best fresh.

yeastmaster:

--- Quote from: majorvices on November 28, 2009, 07:50:04 AM ---Depends. I brew a number of different Saisons. Some I drink fresh. Other I might age for 2 weeks and other 4-6 weeks. It just depends on the OG and yeast.  I have some Saisons that are several years old - way past their prime. I have some soured saisons that are over a year old that I haven't even tasted yet.

The saison I brew most frequently though I age for about 2 weeks and drink. it is a 1.060ish Saison spiced with Ginger and Lime leaves. It is best fresh.

--- End quote ---

Ginger and lime leaves, that sounds really good!  How much do you use and how do you get them into the beer?

majorvices:
Here's the recipe, not a conventional Saison recipe, but IMO a good Saison recipe is unconventional.  ;) The American hops at the end really accent the ginger and lime. Also, I use this recipe to grow yeast for my higher gravity Belgians and saisons - hence the name "catalyst:. WLP565 and WLP550 both work excellent for this beer.

Catalyst

12 Gallons
OG 1.059
IBU 41

16 lbs Pilsner Malt
5 lbs Wheat
2lbs Sugar
1 lb Munich

1 oz Magnum (14 aa) @ boil
1 oz Styrian Goldings (5.2 aa) @ 30
1oz French Strissselspalt (3 aa) @10
1 oz Amarillo @ 2
1 oz Centennial @ 2

8 grams Fresh Grated Ginger @ 5
4 crushed Lime Leaves @ 5
Zest from one large lime @ 5

WLP565 or WLP550

Mash at 150-152, boil ~90 minutes, pitch at ~64-66 and ferment in high 60s ramping to low to mid 70s after krausen drops.

yeastmaster:
That looks pretty awesome!  I'm getting very thirsty! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version