Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drilling more holes in the fridge......  (Read 3863 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Drilling more holes in the fridge......
« on: December 09, 2010, 05:49:54 pm »
OK, the bottle is going outside the fridge, taking up too much room. Not so much the bottle, but the regulators etc etc. Plus all the hose..... Too messy. And there's some other reasons.

Sooo, I want to put it off to the side. Drill holes JUST smaller than the diameter of the CO2 hoses, nice tight fit.

Has anyone EVER heard of freon lines in the sidewall of a fridge? It's a Kenmore fridge up/freezer down.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Re: Drilling more holes in the fridge......
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 06:45:06 pm »
In a modern fridge you'll be fine.  That's exactly what I did.  (is there a disclaimer button)  ;)
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 08:48:10 am »
I was under the impression, at least as to mini-fridges, that the lines are in the sidewalls and there's a cross-over line on the top.

As to a full-size fridge, I do not know.  But I would suspect that it would be similar.

I would use caution and research before drilling.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 08:50:16 am »
I AM researching....... It's a full size.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:52:29 am »
I did exactly what you're asking. There ARE lines in the side of my 18+ cf. Kenmore fridge. A single line on each side that run diagonally from the back/bottom to the top/front of the fridge section. I found a diagram on the bottom front of the fridge, back behind the plastic louvered cover on the bottom. It showed these lines.  Just to make sure I carefully drilled a very small hole on the inside & fished around with a piece of wire to see if there wasn anything more than insulation. Once convinced I carefully drilled a little bigger hole & visually inspected it.  Then I drilled the hole with a step bit.  I used a couple grommets (inside & outside the hole) to fish the CO2 line through.  YMMV...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 06:05:42 pm »
AHA! I knew it.....

No more diagram......but, Sears is pretty good about stuff on line.....good idea.

jaybeerman

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:11:18 pm »
I did exactly what you're asking. There ARE lines in the side of my 18+ cf. Kenmore fridge. A single line on each side that run diagonally from the back/bottom to the top/front of the fridge section. I found a diagram on the bottom front of the fridge, back behind the plastic louvered cover on the bottom. It showed these lines.  Just to make sure I carefully drilled a very small hole on the inside & fished around with a piece of wire to see if there wasn anything more than insulation. Once convinced I carefully drilled a little bigger hole & visually inspected it.  Then I drilled the hole with a step bit.  I used a couple grommets (inside & outside the hole) to fish the CO2 line through.  YMMV...  Cheers!!!

+1,  Fish through the foam first. 

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 06:21:39 pm »
Yeah, that'll have to be the way. No luck finding a schematic for a 1068679381 Kenmore.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 10:25:47 pm »
I used rubber grommets to put the vinyl hose through. Didn't want the wall to gradually cut the hose.
Brew on

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 11:45:42 pm »
Why not just cut out a bit of the door seal? Just enough to feed the hose through and maybe a dab of caulk to hold it in place. Run the hose from the back and under to the corner by the bottom hinge. You could still open the door and maintain a good seal when shut.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 12:28:19 am »
I went right through the side of my fridge without a hitch.  Got some silicone sealant for the holes.  I used very thick braided hose, so I'm not too worried about the line getting cut.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ