Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen Weisse  (Read 1952 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen Weisse
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:50:15 pm »
Go and- no wait! Run and get yourself a bottle of this nectar. This is suddenly my favorite beer. Aggressive citrus hop character and florally perfumed.

A collaboration between Schneider and Brooklyn breweries: "...a delicious blend of Bavarian craftsmanship and American ingenuity... A pale weissbock robustly dry-hopped with the Hallertauer Saphir variety..."
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen Weisse
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:04:47 pm »
I bought 2 of them last week in Austin TX, drank one last night and was very disappointed.  I really hoped for something different, it's hard to explain what I didn't like about it.  I love German beer, I'm starting to enjoy hoppier beers but this one seemed to have characteristics of neither.  I'l try the second one in a week or so just in case my taste buds were on strike that day.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 05:13:17 am »
Go and- no wait! Run and get yourself a bottle of this nectar. This is suddenly my favorite beer. Aggressive citrus hop character and florally perfumed.

A collaboration between Schneider and Brooklyn breweries: "...a delicious blend of Bavarian craftsmanship and American ingenuity... A pale weissbock robustly dry-hopped with the Hallertauer Saphir variety..."

When this came out a couple years ago, it quickly became my "new favorite beer."  There's a version from the German brewery that uses noble hops and one from N.Y. that uses American hops.  I like the U.S. version better.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 05:17:25 am »
I like them both. When I saw the post I was wondering if the beers continued to be brewed and released or if it was a one and done kinda thing.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 05:21:59 am »
I like them both. When I saw the post I was wondering if the beers continued to be brewed and released or if it was a one and done kinda thing.

I think it has become a regular thing.  I recently saw the German version in the store.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 08:05:19 pm »
I guess I have the German version. Utterly enjoying one right now. I'm getting passion-fruit. At 8.2% the alcohol is barely noticeable. This could be some exotic fruit drink.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 05:45:13 am »
The Brooklyn version is in a 750ml bottle and IIRC the German version is in a 500ml
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:07:40 pm »
I've had them both side by side and thought the Schnieder (German) version was better.