Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mashing confusion  (Read 14394 times)

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
Re: Mashing confusion
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2010, 09:42:54 am »
I truthfully believe that science will someday prove, beyond theory, that my beer is art to behold.

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2010, 11:35:07 am »

Art – Science – Truth – Theory – Belief

Don't forget Tribal Lore!

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »

Don't forget Tribal Lore!

You know...I suppose homebrewers could be thought of as a tribe (a tribe of head-hunters --get it?)...and the "Lore" is our shared collective experience.
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

narvin

« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2010, 12:42:29 pm »
I guess I don't understand why people think there should only be one way to brew.  Why does it bother people if someone else step mashes or does decoctions?  If you are able to control your processes on your system to get the kind of beer you want, who gives a rip what someone else does?

This is the basic problem I have with the spreadsheet crowd.  If you know how to use it and it works for you, that's great.  But to then extend that to say that everyone should do that is a leap of logic that is entirely without support.

Anyone who has ever taken formal logic will recognize immediately the problems with people mistaking "there exists" for "for all".

There is more than one way to brew.  Accept it.  You'll live a happier life.

Well said. And if the science minded experts want to ignore other people's results, then that's their loss.

Not ignoring your results... just your conclusion  ;D.  Your step mash most likely has a longer time, higher water to grain ratio, and too many other different variables versus a single infusion mash to determine any cause and effect relationship.  If you like the beer you make, I wouldn't change your procedure.  But I doubt you have identified what is actually going on.

Offline bfogt

• Cellarman
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2010, 12:34:26 pm »
The only two things I can convince myself to add to the discussion are:

It seems to me important for serious brewers to learn how to use all the standard techniques that have been used to make good beer.  I've thrown decoctions into recipes when the temperature drops fast outside and I can't get enough hot water into the mash to hit my marks.  Step mashing gives you an appreciation of all the different enzymes at play in various temperature ranges.  Then when you're designing your flavors or run into problems, you have a few ways to get to a satisfactory result. 

Second, I use a triple decoction for my Lenten brew of a BPA.  It's not called for, but I use the excuse that it's how we can brew without technology.  It feels more authentic for the participants, I have lots of hands that need something to do and it helps keep requests to teach brewing to people quite low.  Beer that you had to suffer for seems to taste better and it eliminates the casual potential beer maker from drawing me into their new halfhearted hobby.  We also do a 4 week bottle conditioning process to make it seem like it takes the whole length of Lent.

So there are practical reasons to have those armaments in your arsenal other than science or tradition.