Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Decoction! the book.  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Decoction! the book.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 10:01:04 am »
I have glanced over the book and read a little so far.

This is not a book that will teach you about contemporary decoction science or decoction schedules like you find in Greg Noonan’s New Brewing Lager beer or on my site. It is a book that delves into historic data and accounts about historic brewing in Germany and Great Britan. Similar to what I did in my Historic brewing article but much more extensively. There are lots of tables (in various colors which annoys me) in this book comparing different beers. It’s more of a collection of historic brewing accounts and I’ll have to see how much digestion of this data the author actually does.

I don’t think it is a waste of $7 but not quite what I expected. It would have been useful for the author to release at least the table of contents and the foreword. Maybe even some excerpts. But since I do respect his copyright I won’t do that here.

Kai

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 10:58:13 am »
I read his last book, "Everybody but me is an idiot", but didn't care for it.   ::)

I told you he was opinionated  ;)
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 08:08:58 pm »
I read a few more pages today and I think I'm done reading now.

The book is basically a collection of a lot of excerpts from historic brewing texts thrown together rather loosely. It's basically a print-out of his blog. And as a result it is rather boring. What the author lacks is the ability of a good historian to present a compelling and interesting story about brewing in Europe during the 19th century. This task is left to the reader who is unlikely willing to do that. In contrast I love Maureen Ogle's book Ambitous Brew. This was history book I was not able to put down.

My conclusion is that unless you are interested in some of the data and texts that are usually only available as German originals on Google Books don't buy this book You'll be greatly disappointed The rather inviting title is sure to come up in many Google searches.

Kai

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 08:58:36 pm »
Kai,

Thank you.

What a bummer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing