Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: March Pump Setup Help  (Read 2364 times)

Offline NorthernIke

• Cellarman
March Pump Setup Help
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:24:56 am »
For my Christmas present to myself, I'm going to pick up a March Pump from Northern Brewer.  My question is, what kind of fittings will I need for this?

I'm planning on using it—at least for the present time—as part of a whirlpool immersion set up.  So I'll be recirculating wort from the kettle, through the pump and back into the kettle.

The outlet on my kettle is currently a 5/8" barb fitting on a ball valve.

Can anyone advise correct inlet and outlet fittings for this type of application?

Thanks!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: March Pump Setup Help
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 03:30:17 pm »
My set up uses 1/2" NPT fittings.  The hoses are 1/2" thermoplastic and the connections on the hose are the Blichmanns.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/blichmann-quickconnectors-1-2-npt-x-1-2-id-hose.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 04:17:50 pm »
I use 1/2" barbs and silicon hose....but to answer your question,

the march pump head is 1/2" MPT (male pipe thread).  So you need on the inlet to the pump at the very least a 1/2" female pipe thread to 3/8" hose barb.  On the outlet of the head you need a coupler (1/2" MPT coupler, ($5 for SS see bargainfittings.com)), a ball valve (for pump control), and a 1/2" MPT to 3/8" hose barb, and a couple of hose clamps (for both barbs).

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline NorthernIke

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 02:38:00 pm »
Thanks so much!  I should be all set to go now...just waiting for the pump from Rebel Brewer and the fittings from Bargain Fittings.