Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Counter top brewery.  (Read 8029 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Counter top brewery.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 10:45:31 am »
Y'all are trying to re-invent the wheel.

The perfect counter top system has already been invented.

http://www.onederbrew.com/Index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf6q73jvdEQ
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 10:57:01 am »

"Brew, ferment, carbonate, chill, and dispense from the same container"....... :o
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 11:00:38 am »
A 2 gallon system is the answer.

Here a Coleman 2 gallon jug cooler. Modify it by adding a small SS braid.

I know you have a 16 qt kettle. You'll be on your way to a counter top brewery.

Cheap and Easy!  8)
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 11:08:28 am »
Cute.  And it's even blue!
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 11:08:52 am »

"Brew, ferment, carbonate, chill, and dispense from the same container"....... :o

In a former life on the <shall remain nameless> forum, an email was sent to this guy with all of the contact info with an offer to try this out and give a fair assessment of the end product since he was pushing it hard on the said forum. Never heard back.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 11:23:33 am »
I've got a 2 gallon cooler with a SS braid that I use for making 1 gallon batches.  It works no problem.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 12:18:45 pm »
I've got a 2 gallon cooler with a SS braid that I use for making 1 gallon batches.  It works no problem.

I used a 2-gallon Coleman drink cooler back when I used to Partial Mash.  Pulled out the spout and replaced with an SS braid - worked great.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 01:29:35 pm »

I used a 2-gallon Coleman drink cooler back when I used to Partial Mash.  Pulled out the spout and replaced with an SS braid - worked great.

I see this 2 gallon Coleman at the Dollar General by my house- for $12... A good price?

Hokerer did you use a bung when you removed the spout? Please esplain:D Anyway, I'm transitioning to smaller batches. Doing 2 gallons at a time seems to me more fun and less time consuming. Quite frankly all the joy has gone out of the 9+ hour brew days and ending up with 12 gallons of so-so beer. I want to fine-tune my recipes and do some experimenting.

Cap's idea of the coffee-urn sounds interesting. With a thermostat controller it might be a good solution for some folks. The coffee pot approach seems a little iffy but OK if you only want two beers- which might be good for some flavor experimentation.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 01:39:09 pm »
I left the spout in and just attached the ss screen to it.  It doesn't hold on too great, but well enough for a batch.  $12 seems like a good deal, I'm pretty sure mine was $20.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »
I have the 2gal cooler, removed the spout, put a drilled stopper in there, put a piece of copper thru it and attached the screen to it and a hose on the outside,  works like a champ.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 11:38:08 pm »
I left the spout in and just attached the ss screen to it.  It doesn't hold on too great, but well enough for a batch.  $12 seems like a good deal, I'm pretty sure mine was $20.

Thanks Tom. I've persuaded myself to buy it for the season. What do you use on the outlet side?

I have the 2gal cooler, removed the spout, put a drilled stopper in there, put a piece of copper thru it and attached the screen to it and a hose on the outside,  works like a champ.

That's a great idea!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 12:10:51 am »
I don't use anything, just run it out into a little pot that I then dump in to a big pot for boiling.  I like the stopper idea though, that's a good one.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 08:12:40 am »

Hokerer did you use a bung when you removed the spout? Please esplain:D

but Rickeeeeeeeyyyy  No, I used two hose barb fittings back to back.  They have female threads so I stuck a union? (the thingy with male threads on both ends) in between.  One barb to the inside for the braid, one barb to the outside for the hose.  Oh, and I re-used the washers from the spout.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 11:02:13 am »
That's another great idea!

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »
I've got a 3 gal Rubbermaid tun that I got from Midwest that I use to mini-mash.  Easily handles 4-5 lbs of grain, so you could even use it for all-grain if you're only doing a couple gallon batch.  I like the tun way more than messing with grain bags.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch