Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: does the yeast define the brew?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline whitey

• Cellarman
does the yeast define the brew?
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:13:40 am »
Hi. Im a beginner, I don't do a lot of brewing, largley to time constraints,  so I've been making kits in order to learn and understand the process. Last weekend I made my first lager kit. Its a Vienna Lager kit made by Brewer's Best. It had a yeast pack that the intructions said would work well as lager or ale, and that I could brew this beer as an ale.

I want(ed) to brew this a lager to better understand the difference in process. So mixed it up. And pitched the yeast as intructed, and was told to keep it at 48F-58F to ferment, which I did......and nothing happened. I left it at about 57F for two days and nothing. So I pulled out to 67F and vola,  fermentation.

Does this mean that I now have an ale and not a over?
Kegged:
Oatmeal Stout
Doppelbock
ESB
Vienna Lager
Belgian Wheat
Heffeweizen

Bottled:

beveragebob

Re: does the yeast define the brew?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:20:25 am »
Does the kit say what kind of yeast it is? If it's an ale yeast it's an ale if it's a lager yeast you just made a "Steam Beer" (Lager fermented at ale temps)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 06:37:51 am »
To some extent the yeast does define the beer.  As with any complex process no one factor is completely determinate, however.  The beer you produce is a combination of extracts (sugars, grain fruits, whatever), hops, technique, yeast and time.

Yeast will ferment at any temp in wide range. Some work better at one end or the other of that range.  Lager yeast likes it cool to cold and ale yeasts prefer the higher end but neither are limited to one range or the other.  What flavors you get from the yeast is quite dependent on temperature.  This is a huge topic all by itself.

Easy answer to your question is Yes.  The more accurate one is "you now have a new research project".

Welcome to the obsession!!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline whitey

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 06:43:14 am »
The yeast packet said it was a lager yeast. So what did I do wrong that caused no fermentation when I had it at the specified range?

Thanks for the reply, just trying to wrap my head around it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:46:23 am by whitey »
Kegged:
Oatmeal Stout
Doppelbock
ESB
Vienna Lager
Belgian Wheat
Heffeweizen

Bottled:

Offline whitey

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 06:47:32 am »
Also, do I complete the process as a lager despite it being a steam beer now?
Kegged:
Oatmeal Stout
Doppelbock
ESB
Vienna Lager
Belgian Wheat
Heffeweizen

Bottled:

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 06:52:50 am »
It was probably just moving more slowly at the lower temps.  Lagers tend to take longer than ales to ferment out.  By heating it up you sped up the process.

Once it's done fermenting go ahead and lager it.  Cold conditioning the beer will only help.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline whitey

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:59:06 am »
Thanx for the advice folks.

One more quetion about the lager ferm.  The kit instructions said that ferm would happen in 48 hrs. That it didn't, is what spooked me. What is a normal range for a lager to begin fermenting. And will prolonged exposure to cold temps with no activity damage the batch?
Kegged:
Oatmeal Stout
Doppelbock
ESB
Vienna Lager
Belgian Wheat
Heffeweizen

Bottled:

beveragebob

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 09:02:46 am »
No one can accurately predict when fermentation starts. All of the conditions of fermentation are variable. Yeast are living things and have their own timetable. That said, you can do things that make them happier by oxygenating the wort before pitching and making sure that everything is sanitized good so, they do not have to compete with any other organisms. You stated that you were a new brewer, I don't know if you have or read any books but,  How to Brew by John Palmer covers all the aspects and questions you have asked and would be a good thing to check out.

Offline whitey

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 09:17:23 am »
Thanks Bob. This may sound like an excuse, but I have trouble concentrating and grasping longer explanations. Chalk it up to ADHD  ;D

Which is why, (and I hope it isn't problem to the people on here) I like to ask questions as and when things arise. I find that I learn better by encountering difficulty and then searching out the answer from people who know. I find that the myriad of replies gives creates a more interesting answer.

Thanks again though.
Kegged:
Oatmeal Stout
Doppelbock
ESB
Vienna Lager
Belgian Wheat
Heffeweizen

Bottled:

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 10:54:52 pm »
In addition to what is mentioned above, it helps to pitch a LOT of yeast into a lager.  This might be a beer where you wanted two packets of yeast, which could explain the long lag time.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 12:57:16 pm »
The guys that win a lot of awards will tell you that the 2nd most important factor (behind sanitation) for brewing good beer is to pitch enough yeast.  For a medium gravity ale this means making a 2L starter for 5 gal.  For a lager you need 1.5x to 2x as much yeast.  There's a formula for how many yeast cells you need for a certain amount of beer of a certain original gravity, but I don't remember what it is.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 01:39:30 pm »
I'm surprised no one has posted the Mr. Malty site yet.  This is a yeast starter calculator.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?