Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator Construction Issue  (Read 2793 times)

Offline vermont802

• 1st Kit
Kegerator Construction Issue
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:43:35 pm »
I'm looking into making a kegerator and an issue that I am running into, is the compact fridge that I have available has a freezer section that's in the main compartment as the fridge and to get enough room for the tubes I need it out. The Freezer tray is just metal, however it has a large (1/2in) cooper pipe that is attached to the freezer tray to keep it cold.

Does anyone know how to remove this freezer tray and keep the fridge okay to use? Ive looked online but found no instructions on how to build a kegerator from a fridge with a freezer tray.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kegerator Construction Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 05:17:59 pm »
Do NOT cut any tubes.... It will be dead in seconds. Get a bigger fridge....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:34:44 pm »
I agree...go with another refrigerator!  I have the same issue with mine right now and out of pure frustration and stubbornness I bent my metal freezer section so that it fit almost flat against the back and allowed one corny keg to fit into it.  While it works, it's definitely not pretty and has much to be improved on. 
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 07:07:52 am »
Do NOT cut any tubes.... It will be dead in seconds. Get a bigger fridge....

+1 to this advice.  I purposefully bought a compact fridge without a freezer so I wouldn't have those issues.  I am able to fit 2 cornys in mine.

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:32:42 pm »
There are several examples of how build a collar on a keezer, which I and others have commented on in the past.  Visualize your kegerator as a vertical keezer.  Use 2" x 8" s to build a collar or use 2" x 10"s, whatever you prefer.  Remove the front door.  Attach the collar to the Kegerator using deck hardward brackets you can pick up at Home Depot.  Add 1/2" thick solid core foam insulation to the inside of the collar to help the cooling ability of your kegerator.  Use white lightening caulk to fill the seams.  Over lap the ends with 2 " wide tape.  Spray with a krylon appliance paint that matches your appliance color.  Mount the door back onto your kegerator.  Drill a hole for you CO2 line and one for each cornie you can squeze in there.  One, maybe two, depends on how big you make your collar.  You can use your freezer shelf to store your hopps in a well sealed plastic bag.

Hope this helps.
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale
6. Key Lime Pie (11%) Chilled to 29 deg. F. you can not even taste the alcohol.

It is time to start brewing again.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 02:46:18 pm »
The only comment I want to add here is that cold air is heavier than warm air. I a Keezer it sits in the bottom of the well insulated box and the collar may leak a little, but would not generate a steady flow. On a fridge you would have to do some serious sealing to keep the cold air from falling out the bottom of your collar.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 07:56:40 pm »
The only comment I want to add here is that cold air is heavier than warm air. I a Keezer it sits in the bottom of the well insulated box and the collar may leak a little, but would not generate a steady flow. On a fridge you would have to do some serious sealing to keep the cold air from falling out the bottom of your collar.....
I have seen a mini-frigerator converted using this style of fabrication into a kegerator and the individual was satisfied with it's operation.  He had two taps on his.

That day I bought 6 cornie kegs from him.   He shared a few beer samples with me and showed me how he had fabricated his kegerator.  In reality, it will work, till the time comes that you can afford a larger / nicer setup.
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale
6. Key Lime Pie (11%) Chilled to 29 deg. F. you can not even taste the alcohol.

It is time to start brewing again.

Offline jth138

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 08:12:52 am »
I also have a similar style of mini fridge.  i got it for free, so i am probably going to try to modify it myself.  there are a lot of youtube videos out there on how to bend the "freezer" portion to the back as someone had mentioned before.  another problem you have to watch for is there is a copper line that runs across the top of the mini fridge to run the coolant.  be sure to locate it first because if you to damage or cut that line, your fridge is destroyed.