Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

What size better bottle do you want?

I think the current, 3 gallon, 5 gallon, and 6 gallon sizes are good enough
9 (23.1%)
I use better bottles, but I want them to make a 6.5 (or larger) gallon carboy and would buy it
16 (41%)
I don't use better bottles mainly because they don't make a 6.5 (or larger) gallon carboy, but would buy better bottles if they did
14 (35.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Want a bigger better bottle?  (Read 7860 times)

Offline thatguy314

• 1st Kit
Want a bigger better bottle?
« on: December 12, 2010, 09:00:24 pm »
The makers of better bottle say there's not enough demand demand to produce a 6.5 gallon or larger better bottle at a reasonable price. Personally, I think that's their biggest failing. What do you think?

(x-posted to the BN forum and Northern Brewer)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Want a bigger better bottle?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:04:58 pm »
I use better bottles and I'm okay with the 6 gallon size.  However, if I was presented with an option to buy a 6.5 gallon or larger size, I probably would.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:21:17 am »
6 gallon size is fine for me
Joe

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 07:33:34 am »
Carboys are antiquated, IMO.  If you're trying to move away from glass (a good idea for safety reasons), there's no reason to remain attached to the shape of a blown glass carboy.

I'd much rather have a 7.5 gallon Better Bucket made of PET so I can have plenty of head space, and be able to watch the cool fermentation process.  It would also be far easier to dry hop or do fruit additions in the secondary.  It would be much easier to clean, as well (just pop off the lid).  I'd also like it to be usable as a bottling bucket--installing a spigot would be much easier and cheaper in a bucket than a carboy.

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 07:43:23 am »
I use a couple of their 6 gallon bottles as primaries but I'd love the increased headspace of a 6.5g to 7.5g version.  I hate using a blow off tube on IPA and APA's and I'm not thrilled with using fermcap even though I ordered some today.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 09:36:24 am »
For now, I'll stick with my 7 gal carboy.  The extra headspace is much better than a blowoff tube, and I honesly think that I'd revert to using a bucket rather than a smaller carboy or BetterBottle with a blowoff tube attached.

Unfortunately the folks who make the BetterBottle seem to have no interest at all in making a bigger version.  If they came out with a 7 or 7.5 gal version, I'd be first in line to buy one or two
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 09:40:19 am »
Carboys are antiquated, IMO.  If you're trying to move away from glass (a good idea for safety reasons), there's no reason to remain attached to the shape of a blown glass carboy.

I'd much rather have a 7.5 gallon Better Bucket made of PET so I can have plenty of head space, and be able to watch the cool fermentation process.  It would also be far easier to dry hop or do fruit additions in the secondary.  It would be much easier to clean, as well (just pop off the lid).  I'd also like it to be usable as a bottling bucket--installing a spigot would be much easier and cheaper in a bucket than a carboy.

THIS!!!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 10:13:30 am »

THIS!!!
I'm with you on this... I have a couple carboys, but they sit empty most of the time, unless all my buckets are full.
Mark Gres

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 11:10:27 am »

THIS!!!

I don't really see any problem with 6.5 gallon glass carboys.  I use them mainly because I like to see the fermentation activity and to use an undrilled bung to shake for aeration.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 11:13:14 am »
I don't really see any problem with 6.5 gallon glass carboys.  I use them mainly because I like to see the fermentation activity and to use an undrilled bung to shake for aeration.

To me, thew whole carboy shape just doesn't lend itself to easy cleaning or storage compared to buckets.  I could care less about being able to see fermentation activity.  If I really want to see it, I open the lid.  And I would never shake or rock a carboy for aeration.  It's inefficient compared to other methods, not to mention dangerous.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 12:05:11 pm »
I really don't have any need for 6.5 gallons over 6.  I'd use a blowoff tube either way just in case.  Two 6 gallon better bottles fit just right in my chest freezer, also.

As for cleaning... throw in some PBW.  Dry hopping... throw in the hop pellets without a bag.  And carboys are easier to start a siphon on without disturbing sediment using a carboy cap.  Plus I don't have to worry about a bucket not sealing airtight for a long lagering period.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 12:18:27 pm »
Are the openings to better bottles larger than on the glass carboys?  I wonder if my 1" blow off hose would fit properly in a better bottle.  Could be a possible option for the future...
Jesse

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 02:13:04 pm »
Are the openings to better bottles larger than on the glass carboys?  I wonder if my 1" blow off hose would fit properly in a better bottle.  Could be a possible option for the future...

Yes they are.  BB's take a #10 stopper if I remember correctly.
Joe

Offline thatguy314

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »

I agree PET buckets would be great.  However, the PET material is more brittle and less flexible, so it might not work as well for large buckets.  I'd have to talk to the people who make them.

Carboys have the opposite advantage that you can open up a small portion at at ime without exposing the entire surface.  I think it's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other depending on what you're more concerned with

They are bigger and it won't fit.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:05:37 pm by thatguy314 »

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 12:34:57 pm »
I didn't vote because you didn't include an option for not being interested in better bottles in any size.  I'm pretty happy with glass & don't mind the extra weight.  What I would really like to see for safety is a glass carboy with a protective plastic coating on the outside.  Back when I was a lab rat you could order your gallon jugs of concentrated acids with that type of coating.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch