Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Double Batch Sparge  (Read 2864 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Double Batch Sparge
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:58:05 am »
I recently got a 17.4 gallon Penrose Kettle, so now I have the capacity to easily boil 10 gallon batches. However, larger of my coolers is only 54 quarts, so I was a little concerned with mash tun capacity in it after I converted it into a mash tun. Well, while I can easily get even a fairly high-gravity batch worth of grain to fit in the tun with about 1.5 qt of strike water per pound of grain, sparging must be done in two batches.

This is my method:

Mash it at around 1.4-1.7 qt of water per lb of grain.
Runoff the first runnings.
Add half of my sparge water
Runoff the second runnings
Add remaining sparge water
Runoff the third runnings.
Boil as usual.

My findings:

The beer has tasted as good as any other I've made (I discern no negative side effect). And, my efficiency has bumped up to a consistent 83% (from 80%). This basically means that, by adding 15 minutes to my brew day, I do not need to use a larger mash tun, my beer has not suffered, and my efficiency has not suffered.

Does anyone else do a double batch sparge?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Double Batch Sparge
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 10:26:59 am »
Only when the grist bill is so large I can't fit in all the water at once, which isn't often.  Personally, I'd just get a bigger cooler if it was a regular thing, but if you're happy with you procedure, there's nothing wrong with it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 10:40:19 am »
I went with larger cooler and it works fine, but sometimes I think the double sparge method is better, especially from a heat loss standpoint.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:04:22 am »
I use a 13.3 gallon (50 liter) keggle as a rims mashtun and a double sparge is my SOP.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!