Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Modified batch sparge?  (Read 9539 times)

Offline malzig

• Brewer
Re: Modified batch sparge?
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2011, 05:15:47 pm »
My "no-sparge" was like a sparge but without lautering off the first runnings first.  Mash at 2qt/lb, then add another 1qt/lb or so and stir then lauter.
I may be misunderstanding you, but that sounds like a No-Sparge, to me.  No-Sparge has nothing to do with mash thickness or whether you add a step into your mash before lautering.  It is a sparging technique, not a mashing technique.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2011, 05:20:17 pm »
I always assumed "no-sparge" meant you did a regular mash and just didn't sparge at all.  But you're probably right.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2011, 06:35:16 pm »
I always assumed "no-sparge" meant you did a regular mash and just didn't sparge at all.
True, but you're not doing a sparge, you're doing a mash infusion. 
In a Batch Sparge, you wouldn't count a mashout infusion as a second sparge, either.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2011, 07:30:30 pm »
This will sound like the obvious...I think of sparging as "rinsing". The sparge step in the brewing process is the rinsing of the sugars from the spent grains. So a "no sparge" step is actually the ommision of the rinsing step.

The no sparge mashing technique implies a mashing technique eventhough it is only one step of a particular mashing/lautering process.
Ron Price

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2011, 04:33:29 am »
Good simple way to put it.

It never occurred to me to think that No-Sparge implied a mashing technique, though.  I like to use No-Sparge for German beers, to minimize astringency and since they are relatively low gravity.  I typically mash these at ~2 qt/#, usually with a beta and alpha step mash by infusion, often even with a decoction, and finally run out at around 3 qt/#.