Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Braggot Questions  (Read 4442 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Braggot Questions
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 07:04:50 pm »
I've only brewed one braggot, about 5 years ago and it was from the second runnings of a porter.  I didn't take any gravity measurements, or any notes at all.  It was a brewing session that taught me lots of lessons, but the braggot turned out great.  I think it did but then it's the only braggot(homebrewed or commercial) I've ever tasted so what do I know.  A kegged it and drank 1/2  pints from it for 2 years, then bottled the remainder to free up the keg.  It's now been bottled for 3 years and is still delicious, but it's a very unusual flavor.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Braggot Questions
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 12:01:51 pm »
I took a sixpack over to my friend whose palate is incredibly sensitive. His neighbor's parents homebrew so they are discerning beer drinkers. The hope is that I'll get some decent feedback.

I had him pour a bottle into a large red-wine goblet. His first taste elicited the comment oh it's sour! to which I replied so is that Shiner you've been guzzling... Keep drinking!

A few more sips and he started saying I get it now- I get it now... And it's heavy too! Kept going on about the legs- which are showing fairly well.

IIRC the OG was 1.058 and I know the FG was 1.008 so IMO it's not that heavy. He's probably confused by the carbonation and the crystal malts. But he likes it.

And I feel just a bit better.  :)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis