Author Topic: Malt Mill  (Read 5320 times)

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • View Profile
    • ALES Club
Re: Malt Mill
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »
I use the JSP Maltmill. As you said just rest it on a five gallon bucket and start milling. I use a 1/2" Dewalt electric drill to operate the mill.

This is how mine is setup too.  I have the adjustable model, and have it set so I can just barely see light between the rollers - works great for me, no stuck mashes and it helped get me to above 80% efficiency on standard gravity beers with a batch sparage.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 01:15:49 PM »
OK, JSP N/A it is.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 07:54:17 PM »
Check out their "barebones" ordering page:  http://schmidling.com/bbordpp.htm
I made my own base to fit the buckets and just use an inverted plastic 5 gallon water bottle as the hopper.
Brew on

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 07:56:58 PM »
Yup, saw that.... There's a shelf in the WSBW that may get incorporated into the thing....

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 07:25:39 AM »
Ordered. Just figgered out that this is "in house" DOH!.......Well, at least I know where to find customer service.... ;D

Offline blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 09:51:49 AM »
I have a Barley Crusher that I've used for the past 5 years - put about 1.5-2 tons of grain through it in that time.  Its finicky and aggravating at times, but right now it works fine for me (hope it doesn't hear me type that :-) ).

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy a Monster Mill - bigger rollers (diameter and length), more solid construction, and it looks like deeper knurling (sp?).

Every time I have issues with the BC, I swear at it and tell it I'm buying a MM tomorrow and for some reason it starts cooperating for the remainder of the grist.

This is my case as well. I love the dang dang thing and it has served me very well for years. It is simply worn out at this point. The knurling is very worn, and it works kinda ok one time, and on the other hand it can take me fidgeting for hours to get it to mill one batch. You can flop the idle roller, that will help just a bit, it I've about worn out that method too...

I have a MM on the way from Fred, with hopper and five gallon bucket base...

update:  I finally got fed up last month and plunked down to buy a MM2.0.  First use last night: oh. my. gawd.  :o I kept asking myself "Why didn't I make the switch sooner?"  This makes the BC seem like a rickety child's toy.  Very, very happy with the upgrade.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 04:05:38 PM »
blatz do you know the throughput of this mill?
Na Zdravie

On Tap At The TapRoom:
Bohemian Pilsner
Bohemian Dark Lager
Smoked Bock
MaiBock
American Brown Ale
Marzen
Root beer

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • On Beer
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »
+1 on the Monster Mill.....It is adjustable but I have never run it other than on the pre-set gap....works beautifully.....buying 2 row in 50 lb sacks rather than by the pound alone is paying for the upgrade.  Not to mention the time (and Money) saved not hanging around the LHBS.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 06:49:48 PM »
Only mill I've ever had is the Monster so I don't really have a point of comparison, but I love mine.
Joe

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »
I have a Barley Crusher that I've used for the past 5 years - put about 1.5-2 tons of grain through it in that time.  Its finicky and aggravating at times, but right now it works fine for me (hope it doesn't hear me type that :-) ).

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy a Monster Mill - bigger rollers (diameter and length), more solid construction, and it looks like deeper knurling (sp?).

Every time I have issues with the BC, I swear at it and tell it I'm buying a MM tomorrow and for some reason it starts cooperating for the remainder of the grist.

This is my case as well. I love the dang dang thing and it has served me very well for years. It is simply worn out at this point. The knurling is very worn, and it works kinda ok one time, and on the other hand it can take me fidgeting for hours to get it to mill one batch. You can flop the idle roller, that will help just a bit, it I've about worn out that method too...

Lonnie thanks for the update: 
I went ahead and ordered a MM3-2.0
My order summary
Descriptions Amount

6" long, 2" diameter, 3-Roller knob adjustable gap drill drive grain mill
$349.00 Item number: MM3-2.0
Options: Roller Material: 303 SS
Item price: $349.00

Base & Hopper for Monster Mill - MM3-2.0
Item number: MMHB-320
Item price: $40.00
Quantity: 1

Extension set for Monster Mill Hopper
Item number: MM-EXT
Item price: $25.00
Quantity: 1

Shipping and Handling
Shipping and HandlingShipping and Handling
Item price: $36.40
Options: Via: USPS Priority (FRB1)

Item total $450.40

I chose the Stainless Steel rollers to avoid the possibilities of rust.  I plan on pre-moistening
my grains the before milling.  Read an article in Zymurgy discussing the bennifits.
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale
6. Key Lime Pie (11%) Chilled to 29 deg. F. you can not even taste the alcohol.

It is time to start brewing again.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »
Wish I had read this two hours ago.  Just ordered a Crankenstein 3- roller mill.  Picking it up tomorrow.  Anyone have any thoughts on this mill?  Was this a mistake?  Do I need 3 roller or would 2 have done it?  I know I need to rig up a hopper etc with it, not that concerned about that part.  I think it adjusts in 9 setting, 0.005 inch per setting.  Anyway, not much time to reply but should I cancel it and go with one of the ones mentioned here or is this a decent mill?
Thanks

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »
2 roller mill is just fine.
Both mills are good mills.
Na Zdravie

On Tap At The TapRoom:
Bohemian Pilsner
Bohemian Dark Lager
Smoked Bock
MaiBock
American Brown Ale
Marzen
Root beer

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »

update:  I finally got fed up last month and plunked down to buy a MM2.0.  First use last night: oh. my. gawd.  :o I kept asking myself "Why didn't I make the switch sooner?"  This makes the BC seem like a rickety child's toy.  Very, very happy with the upgrade.

I'm about fed up with my BC (sshhhhhh) since it has become so finicky as to be almost unusable. Going to disassemble it and clean everything. It worked great for about a year then I started having trouble getting the grain to feed through, and it is getting worse. Hopefully, a the breakdown will solve the problem, but at this point I'm tentatively removing my endorsement of the Barley Crusher. :-\ I'll email them to see what the problem might be.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Be Sure To Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »
I ground my first batch with the 3 roller crankandstein and it worked very well.  I think it could be a bit too fine (very floury) but there's room for adjustments.  I copied a hopper design off the web (just google it) and it worked ok too although it doesn't hold the whole grain bill.  Probably took me no more than 5 min to grind 12 lbs with a cordless drill.  No idea what speed but it was set on low, about 1/4 throttle.  Tried to mimic what I figured I'd get grinding it by hand. 

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 02:00:35 PM »
How do the husks look? Are they still somewhat intact? Got any pictures?
Mark Gres