Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wheat types and suppliers  (Read 1771 times)

jaybeerman

wheat types and suppliers
« on: December 13, 2010, 10:37:51 pm »
Recently I've developed an interest in brewing wheat beers; I'm not sure why I didn't have the desire to brew them before.  Thus far I've used Rahr red wheat in a very hardy american wheat, fermented with an american yeast which was awesome and flavorful.  As far as malted wheat goes, do any of you have experience with both white and red wheat? Which suppliers have you used and which do you like? What were your thoughts on flavor and fermentation differences between the two wheat malts?  Btw, I think I will be morphing the american wheat into a Dunkelweizen recipe soon.  Thanks, j

jaybeerman

Re: wheat types and suppliers
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:56:42 pm »
Seriously?  Relax the ole sphincter and let some of those secrets out, holding them in will only hurt you in the long run ;D  Ok fine, I’ll buy some of my own damn white wheat and do my own damn experiment but see if I let anyone know my thoughts  ;D

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:41:28 am »
Can't help you out too much, but personally, I use rahr white wheat for any malted wheat needs.  I have not distinguished any differences between red/white as far as flavor profile goes.  Maybe (a big maybe) is that the white leaves more haze than the red, but the batches had different amounts of each, so I can't really say for sure.

Another is that I get better extraction from the white wheat.

jaybeerman

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:13:09 am »
I have not distinguished any differences between red/white as far as flavor profile goes. 

This seems to be the general consensus, so I’ve been curious to see if anyone felt otherwise. 

I was very happy with the Rahr wheat too but might go with great western once just to see what I think.  cheers, j

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:24:28 am »
Red wheat tends to be more tart than the white. Not sure with the rahr but with Briess the white wheat was fuller and crushed better (IIRC).

I recommend using German wheat. I like Best. Less tartness than the Briess, but then again, I have not tried the Rahr.

If you are really interested in Brewing with Wheat pick up the book by the same name by Stan Hieronymus by the ssame name (Brewing With Wheat). Excellent book.

jaybeerman

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 02:35:41 pm »
Red wheat tends to be more tart than the white. Not sure with the rahr but with Briess the white wheat was fuller and crushed better (IIRC).

I recommend using German wheat. I like Best. Less tartness than the Briess, but then again, I have not tried the Rahr.

If you are really interested in Brewing with Wheat pick up the book by the same name by Stan Hieronymus by the ssame name (Brewing With Wheat). Excellent book.

Is the book in-depth? Does it cover more than basic brewing techniques?  Does he spend much time on Dunkelweizen?  Cheers, j