Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting ready to start brewing, have a few questions.  (Read 5993 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Getting ready to start brewing, have a few questions.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 01:21:28 am »
Now cap what are you going to do with 40 Mexican ales?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 10:54:50 am »
Oh man, you just gave me a great idea for my brewery name and label. My name is Bill BTW.

Im gonna call it Bill's . Not very imaginative I know; but consider the slogans. They work on so many levels.

Bills, because you always have too many.

Bills, its the swill of the gods.

For the label I picturing a guy passed out on his desk, strewn with open envelopes and papers mixed with empty bottles. Around his head some flies.

My three main beers would be.

Friendly Notice Bitter.

Past Due Premium

and of coarse the...

Final Notice ESA . (Extra Sour Ale.)  ;D

Is there a label thread here?
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bwn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 05:28:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  After more reading and research I am going to make a yeast starter.  Everytime I think I am ready to start brewing I find out something else I need to do.   :)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 06:47:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  After more reading and research I am going to make a yeast starter.  Everytime I think I am ready to start brewing I find out something else I need to do.   :)

At least you're doing things in the right order - figuring out what you need to do BEFORE you brew your first brew
Joe

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 07:29:20 pm »

At least you're doing things in the right order - figuring out what you need to do BEFORE you brew your first brew

What's this preparation stuff?!  I say throw some grains in a cooler, drain it off, boil the heck outta it, pitch some yeast and see what comes out the end.  If it's tasty, THEN figure out what you just made, not before  ;D
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 11:11:14 am »
My $0.02:
1) Sanitation, sanitation, sanitation.
2) Make a starter.  Pitch big (into cool, well oxygenated wort)
3) Even for extract, do a full boil.  Try to get at least a 30 qt (7.5 gal) kettle for 5 gal. batches.
4) Ferment at a steady, appropriate temperature.
5) Did I mention sanitation?
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline bwn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »
I would do a full boil, but I already have a 5 gal. stockpot to use.  So for now I will just do what I can.  My wife already thinks I have spent too much money ;D

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 04:00:52 pm »
I would do a full boil, but I already have a 5 gal. stockpot to use.  So for now I will just do what I can.  My wife already thinks I have spent too much money ;D
Totally understandable.  I was just trying to give some tips on priorities if you do happen to have some extra cash in the future;  what will give you the most bang for you buck.  Don't let anyone tell you that you need some mega all grain setup or conical fermentors to make quality beer.  Just try to get as much liquid into your kettle (without boiling over) as you can and you should be just fine.  Making a real starter with around a half gallon or wort rather than just re-hydrating dry yeast would probably be a good idea.  Also, anything to cool your wort down to pitching temperature a quickly a possible is important.  No-rinse sanitizers are great, but if you have to use bleach make sure that you rinse like crazy with boiled water.

If after a while you decide that you really like brewing keep your eyes open at yard sales, e-bay etc for a 'turkey fryer' type setup with a propane burner and big kettle.  An aluminum kettle is fine.  You don't really need stainless.

As far as what to brew?  That one is super-easy:  Brew whatever your wife likes.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:15:46 pm by ipaguy »
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline bwn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 05:47:44 pm »
I would do a full boil, but I already have a 5 gal. stockpot to use.  So for now I will just do what I can.  My wife already thinks I have spent too much money ;D
Totally understandable.  I was just trying to give some tips on priorities if you do happen to have some extra cash in the future;  what will give you the most bang for you buck.  Don't let anyone tell you that you need some mega all grain setup or conical fermentors to make quality beer.  Just try to get as much liquid into your kettle (without boiling over) as you can and you should be just fine.  Making a real starter with around a half gallon or wort rather than just re-hydrating dry yeast would probably be a good idea.  Also, anything to cool your wort down to pitching temperature a quickly a possible is important.  No-rinse sanitizers are great, but if you have to use bleach make sure that you rinse like crazy with boiled water.

If after a while you decide that you really like brewing keep your eyes open at yard sales, e-bay etc for a 'turkey fryer' type setup with a propane burner and big kettle.  An aluminum kettle is fine.  You don't really need stainless.

As far as what to brew?  That one is super-easy:  Brew whatever your wife likes.

As long as it comes out good, and she likes it I think I will be able to stay in this hobby for a while :)

Offline bwn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 05:49:53 pm »
How much can I get into a 5 gallon pot without boiling over?  Is 4 gallons too much?

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 06:29:08 pm »
It depends on your burners. Some kitchen burners wont even get four gallons to a full boil. Maybe more of a rolling simmer.  With four gallons in five gallon pot you may boil over. I think in most circumstances you want 2 gallons of head room.

Be extra careful when you add hops. The boiling increases with this addition and it can tend to boil over then.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 08:43:57 pm »
I found a good deal on a Mr. Beer keg. You know what I did? Made a all grain starter! It's also a good beginner brew. I wish I had started like this. I started 17 years ago with can and kilo kits.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/super-simple-mr-beer-all-grain-212639/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 08:46:56 pm by Malticulous »

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 07:59:45 am »
I think it's very important to give good tips to those on a tight budget.  It's too easy for new brewers to get a false impression from pimped-out systems; that they have to have a trust-fund to brew.

bwn, because wort aeration is very important here is a $2.25 gadget you may be interested in:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/siphon-sprayer.html 
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline bwn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 11:40:01 am »
I am looking at the device above and am not quite sure how to use it.  You put it on the end of 3/8' tubing and then what?  Do you pump air into it?  I can't imagine you are supposed to dump your wort through 3/8" tubing.  I will just be using an ale pail for a primary fermentor and plan on dumping it through a strainer.

Brian 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 11:51:06 am »
If you use the aerator then yes- you must run your wort through 3/8" tubing. Myself? I usually just use a strainer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis