Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting ready to start brewing, have a few questions.  (Read 5987 times)

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Getting ready to start brewing, have a few questions.
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 01:24:23 pm »
If you use the aerator then yes- you must run your wort through 3/8" tubing. Myself? I usually just use a strainer.

What euge said.  I've used an auto-siphon to do the transfer and it doesn't take all that long.  To be on the safe side I cover my kettle with aluminum foil after getting the siphon started to keep out any dust-fall.  You just set up your gear so that the siphon sprayer hangs near the top of your fermenting bucket.  The cone shaped part diverts the wort into a thin sheet that looks like it has really good air contact.  I have to admit that I'm going to stop using mine because I've got an oxygen injection system arriving any day now.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline bwn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 02:00:38 pm »
I'll try the strainer first maybe move up to that after a while :)

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 02:29:12 pm »
I'll try the strainer first maybe move up to that after a while :)
Just make sure that after you make the transfer you really shake that wort up.  Either rock the bucket back and forth (violently) for a good 15 or 20 minutes or stir the hell out of it with a sanitized spoon.  It's kind of a trade-off.  On one hand you want to get a bunch of air into your wort.  On the other hand you want to minimize the amount of airborne bacteria you might get in there.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline bwn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 05:58:00 pm »
Just wanted to thank everyone for their opinions and advice.  I had my first "Brew Day" Sunday and things went pretty well.  I shook my yeast starter up too much the day before and blew the top off, I grabbed it and stuck it back on without thinking about sanitation.  It was a foam stopper that I had soaked in starsan and I didn't touch the part that went into the flask. It was a natural reaction I guess.  When I steeped the grains the temperature got up to 176 at the 10 minute mark and I shutoff the burner and it went down to 166 by the end of the 20 minutes.  I didn't boil enough water(didn't take evaporation into consideration) and had to boil more and cool it after I had dumped the wort and water into the fermentor, luckily I had lots of snow to help with that.  I also had to wait about 3 hours for the fermentor to get cool enough to pitch the yeast.  I didn't have a thermometer that read low enough for the extra water and wort(I already ordered one for next time :))  So I hope those few things don't affect the beer.  When I pitched the yeast I had bubbling in the airlock 4.5 hours later and it is still bubbling away.  Now the hard part, waiting ;D

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 06:15:59 pm »
Sounds about par for the course for a first brew day.  Congrats on getting one under your belt!
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 06:36:45 pm »
Wait till you encounter the wort faeries... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis