Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another one biting the bullet  (Read 2407 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Another one biting the bullet
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:31:48 pm »
I bought myself a Christmas present today. A nice dirty beat up fridge! Now I am sitting here ordering parts to convert it to a kegerator.
Tulsa, OK

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Another one biting the bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:17:45 pm »
Congrats, I know if I hadn't started kegging almost right away I would have given up on brewing long ago.  What's your plan for the fridge?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 11:15:18 pm »
Every time you guys do this it makes me want to buy a third fridge... Watching with interest.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 11:32:48 pm »
Congrats, I know if I hadn't started kegging almost right away I would have given up on brewing long ago.  What's your plan for the fridge?
You'd be surprised, I've brewed 94 batches over 8 years, and I've bottled every one.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 05:38:04 am »
That's awesome!  There is nothing more exciting than being able to go to your tap fridge and pull a pint of homebrew.  Of course, what is even better is sharing it with friends!   :D

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 05:57:50 am »
You'd be surprised, I've brewed 94 batches over 8 years, and I've bottled every one.

I'm more impressed that you know exactly how many batches you have made. Congrats on the addition.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:34:01 am »
What's your plan for the fridge?

I am going to eventually have a 4 tap system.

The fridge has an ice maker in it, if that is working it will be useful for an ice baths and the immersion chiller.
Tulsa, OK

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 10:39:00 am »
The only part of brewing I don't truly love is bottling.  And since I've been doing 10 gallon batches for the past 11 years bottling would have doubly sucked.

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 11:01:12 am »
Is there any advantage of pin lock kegs over ball lock kegs or vice versa?
Tulsa, OK

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 11:09:37 am »
As far as I know, not from a functional standpoint.  In my area pinlocks tend to be cheaper at the LHBS but parts are harder to find.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 11:17:10 am »
Availability of parts and supplies.  Sometimes the keg sizes are different (not the volume, but the dimensions).  Pick one; it's harder to maintain supplies of all the various stuff.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 12:48:55 pm »
I've got some of each.  The pin-locks tend to be shorter and fatter so you may not be able to fit as many in a space the same "floor plan" as ball locks. 
I actually prefer pin locks because it's impossible to mix up the fittings in a dark freezer, but I think the use of them is not as popular as ball locks so I sometimes have to provide my own fittings at club events.  In other words, pin locks seem to be in the minority around here.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 01:44:18 pm »
I've got some of each.  The pin-locks tend to be shorter and fatter so you may not be able to fit as many in a space the same "floor plan" as ball locks. 
I actually prefer pin locks because it's impossible to mix up the fittings in a dark freezer, but I think the use of them is not as popular as ball locks so I sometimes have to provide my own fittings at club events.  In other words, pin locks seem to be in the minority around here.
+1
I use flare fittings on all my hoses so I can change between ball and pin lock kegs.  I think I have about 10 of each.  I've never had trouble with the lids being interchangeable, and most pinlock lids don't have relief valves which can be a PITA.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 07:19:17 pm »

I'm more impressed that you know exactly how many batches you have made. Congrats on the addition.
Thanks!  Yeah, I've been writing down every single batch since day 1.  I probably wouldn't bottle if I brewed 10 gallons.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection