Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brewing in an erlenmeyer?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline brewone

• 1st Kit
brewing in an erlenmeyer?
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:08:44 pm »
So after a recent post I have decided to do a few 1 gallon test batches.  So I was curious if I could brew in a 5000 ml Erlenmeyer with good results, the only thing that i could think of is the shape of the flask.  It is pretty much an upside down conical and since conicals where designed for optimum fermentation that makes me think that it may not be great.  On the flip side the flasks are used for starters.  So I'm slightly confused, if anyone has experience please chime in. 

Thanks!!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: brewing in an erlenmeyer?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:23:48 pm »
Are you thinking boiling and fermenting in the flask?  For a 1-gallon batch, I'd think the 5L wouldn't be big enough for the boil.  As for fermentation, it could probably work although you'll probably want to set up a blowoff tube.

Oh, and the conical shape is primarily to facilitate yeast harvesting and trub dump - neither of which you need to be too concerned about.
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:25:17 pm »
The advantage to the conical shape is that it makes it easy to draw off trub and yeast that settle to the bottom.  The yeast don't care about vessel shape unless it will somehow change the pressure.  And on a homebrew scale it's not something to worry about.   So ferment away in a 5 l erlenmeyer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewone

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:52:36 pm »
Perfect that's what i wanted to hear. Thanks a ton guys!

And yes i was thinking of boiling and fermenting in the flask, one gallon is 3785ml so that would leave me (I think) enough head space for boil and krausen.  I will use a blow off tube regardless.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:00:55 pm »
Perfect that's what i wanted to hear. Thanks a ton guys!

And yes i was thinking of boiling and fermenting in the flask, one gallon is 3785ml so that would leave me (I think) enough head space for boil and krausen.  I will use a blow off tube regardless.

just use some Fermcap and you need not worry at all about boilovers, and maybe not about the blowoff - tho I'd still be ready given the geometry.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 02:11:16 pm »
I would be worried that even with FermCap you will have boilover when you add hops.
Have you ever clean a boilover on the stove?  :D
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 02:14:45 pm »
I would be worried that even with FermCap you will have boilover when you add hops.

ah - forgot about hops - was thinking of when I make starters, but there is not hops - good point.

yes I have (starters prior to Fermcap) and I got the same comment everytime - "I thought we had all that equipment in the garage so that you didn't have to make a mess in the kitchen!"
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 02:17:21 pm »
And yes i was thinking of boiling and fermenting in the flask, one gallon is 3785ml so that would leave me (I think) enough head space for boil and krausen.

Don't forget that, to end up with a 1-gallon batch, you'll need to start with more than 1-gallon pre-boil to account for the boil-off/evaporation.
Joe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 03:15:47 pm »

+1. I wouldn't try boiling the batch in the flask. Boil in a pot and transfer to the flask then give an ice bath. Hell, save yourself a lot of time and trouble and just drink it from the flask too. No since bottling 1 gallon, is there?  ;)

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 03:24:56 pm »

It's easy!  :D

I boil 4500ml in my 5L flask all the time. Two drops of FermCap works wonders for starters.

Offline brewone

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 04:09:56 pm »
A lot of good points here, I'll just do the boil in a pot and transfer to the flask while hot, although what about break material should I use a strainer to catch the hop/break matter?