Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Event and Liquor Insurance  (Read 1724 times)

Offline mellodybrew

• 1st Kit
Event and Liquor Insurance
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:48:20 pm »
I recently approached a local art gallery and organization here about if they'd want to allow me to sample my homebrew during an event they were having.  They responded they would, but their lawyers wouldn't allow it unless I had event and liquor insurance, since my beer isn't available in retail.

My question is, can one get this without incorporating? Anyone have any experience here?

I'd like to do this for multiple reasons, one mainly being to see what people think of the beer.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Event and Liquor Insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:58:23 pm »
You mean to SERVE samples . . .

This would depend on your location.
Every state will be different, even the community will make a difference.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:08:25 pm »
You will probably have to have a bartender license because you are SERVING to the public.
As Fred mentioned check with your municipality.

As far as license is concerned, your insurance agent should help you in that area.
Good luck.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 02:10:21 pm »
In WA they are $10 at the liquor store, no bartender's permit required.  I don't know where you are, or what the rules might be there.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline mellodybrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:13:42 pm »
I am in Philadelphia, PA. This would be samples, for free. Not sure of the bartendar thing, since I know the reps here do this for breweries and are not bartendars. 

I've googled but am not finding much.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:46:52 am »
In WA they are $10 at the liquor store, no bartender's permit required.  I don't know where you are, or what the rules might be there.

I don't think that the Washington Banquet permit would allow the serving of homebrew.  I think the rules state the alcohol has to purchased at a retail store. 

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 10:02:01 am »
I know PA has some funky laws,  I don't know of anything anywhere that would address your situation.

Be sure to do your research.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:48:23 am »
Check with the local homebrew clubs and Homebrew supply shops (via phone or internet).  Be persistent--don't expect just anybody to know the answer.  If that fails, ask about who distributes the various craft beers locally and contact them for advice. 
Ask what they have to do in PA to be able to share homebrews at restaurants (e.g., during homebrew club meetings) or at craft beer festivals.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 11:07:54 am »

I don't think that the Washington Banquet permit would allow the serving of homebrew.  I think the rules state the alcohol has to purchased at a retail store. 
Serving homebrew is allowed without a permit, and you're right, the permit doesn't cover it.  But some places have required it because they don't understand how things work.  I was just posting that to give an idea of where to get one, what it might cost, and if you need a bartender's permit.  I can see how it wasn't clear though.
Tom Schmidlin