Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Language Revived  (Read 11126 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Language Revived
« on: December 14, 2010, 03:51:27 pm »
 As of late, the Tubercle has been a student of the historical record, as he has been engaged the majority of his life, and as a result will attempt to resurrect the prose and poetry of the human language so long lost, especially due to the curt and short modifications deemed necessary by the populace of the electronic realm, and will communicate in a more stately manner better befitting the level of gentleness such as us, and will shun the vulgar attempt of lesser beings.

This will require, in the modern teaching, a breach of run on sentences; the patience of my fellow brewers will be required as this task is taken on, but is necessary lest we discard our inheritance and condemn that which has brought us to our present state of indulgence.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Language Revived
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:57:27 pm »

ummm,
ok
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:13:36 pm »
But, you still like turtles, right?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:16:31 pm »
Glad to hear it Tubercle.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:05:38 pm »
As of late, the Tubercle has been a student of the historical record, as he has been engaged the majority of his life, and as a result will attempt to resurrect the prose and poetry of the human language so long lost, especially due to the curt and short modifications deemed necessary by the populace of the electronic realm, and will communicate in a more stately manner better befitting the level of gentleness such as us, and will shun the vulgar attempt of lesser beings.

This will require, in the modern teaching, a breach of run on sentences; the patience of my fellow brewers will be required as this task is taken on, but is necessary lest we discard our inheritance and condemn that which has brought us to our present state of indulgence.

But what do you think of this?

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 05:16:19 pm »
As of late, the Tubercle has been a student of the historical record, as he has been engaged the majority of his life, and as a result will attempt to resurrect the prose and poetry of the human language so long lost...

The human language...?  Would that be the one language - prior to Nimrod and his tower?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 05:45:20 pm »
So a turn to a more asiatic style versus a senecan style? Or perhaps better to say asiatic as opposed to attic style?
I love it...just promise you won't stop referring to yourself using third person narrative...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:17:14 pm by kerneldustjacket »
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:03 pm »
I agree with the Tubercle that language is severely under attack. In fact, on other forums I have been accused of being the......

But someone has to do it. As much as we all have our pet issues where we feel our personal liberties have been curtailed, and often they have, the bottom line is that we can spend a peaceful afternoon brewing beer without getting shot at because we live in a society based in law, and law would not be possible without language. "Hey you, gimme the thing, you know".... No, I don't know. Words matter. What you said and what you meant is not always the same, and it is important to care.

Therefore, unto you, my dear Tubercle, I express my appreciation and admiration for having the awareness and concern that language does matter. Together we shall stand, side by side and deliver blow upon blow to the "free gifts" the "irregardless" the "freind" and the generally morsose. Onward, forward........
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 08:57:27 pm »

OMG! WTF?

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:58:03 pm »

OMG! WTF?
+1
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:02:37 pm »
The human language...?  Would that be the one language - prior to Nimrod and his tower?

Just a small portion of Nimrod's language, a version of which I have had the privilege of learning and which has mutated somewhat from the original that was confounded.

But, you still like turtles, right?

Hell yea...er...Of course, my good man.

Alright. No more. Trying to talk like the founding fathers makes my head hurt. That is what happens when you spend the afternoon reading the Federalist Papers.

I does sound cool though. I was wanting to practice so I could freak my boss lady out :D

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:13:20 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:48:56 pm »
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 11:05:54 pm »
That's great. ;D

And to think people spoke like that too. Probably the main cause of duels...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 12:32:13 am »
I agree with the Tubercle that language is severely under attack. In fact, on other forums I have been accused of being the......

Together we shall stand, side by side and deliver blow upon blow to the "free gifts" the "irregardless" the "freind" and the generally morsose. Onward, forward........

"Completely destroy"
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 04:45:32 am »
Alright. No more.

Don't give it up completely. Your use of the semicolon was exquisite.